Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Question
MisterTinkles Wrote:This is a sociology question someone asked me some years back. It's an interesting question to say the least. I thought I would post this and see where it goes.....

The Question:

Aliens from another world visit Earth. They are friendly, and similar to us in most all aspects, and two centuries more advanced than we are. They have conquered all diseases, illnesses, and petty excuses for people hating each other.

These aliens are only here for one day, as they are seekers of other planets with "intelligent" life, and seek out to make the universe a more friendly place.

The head alien has decided that they will offer the humans on Earth, The Question.
They only do this for certain civilizations. Humans on Earth only have by the end of the day to make this decision.

The Question is this -- The aliens will give the humans on Earth the means and technology to cure all diseases, get rid of our aggressions and petty differences, in order to all be happy and live in harmony. But this comes at a price. We, the humans of Earth, have to give up to the aliens, one race of humans in order to get these benefits from them.

Which race do we give up?

We should reject their offer or give up NASCAR if we're feeling comical

What if the aliens intended to foster the race that would be chosen as a sacrifice, and then leave the rest of humanity to continue about their selfish ways? So many different ways to look at this question...

Race is really only relevant in terms of what people look like and a few genetic traits, other than that there really isn't a meaningful distinction

Bluelight Wrote:What if the aliens intended to foster the race that would be chosen as a sacrifice, and then leave the rest of humanity to continue about their selfish ways? So many different ways to look at this question...

This is what I thought. Not like the remaining humans would be very human anyway.

Or maybe it all about self sacrifice?

My saying 'whites' does include me... giving up self for the betterment of others is often misconstrued as a good if not heroic thing to do.

I guess we're not supposed to know what they're going to do with the taken race; and if they're a lot like us, why should we trust anything they say on their word alone?

Besides, race is a social concept.
I have no capacity to judge other than on my own stereotypes and prejudices, and these will vary from person to person.
Seriously, there's no good reason to listen to them, and if there were, there's no logical way to proceed.

Do I get to ask them who they see as distinct races?
Meh, I may as well ask them which they think should go with them while I'm asking, I have no capacity to judge...

the 1500 meters

The alien extra terrestrials have publicly stated they are going to kidnap or exterminate a fraction of our species, this is an act of war against planet Earth! To the ramparts! Blasts the enemy spaceships out of the sky with nuclear bombs!

Chase Wrote:The alien extra terrestrials have publicly stated they are going to kidnap or exterminate a fraction of our species, this is an act of war against planet Earth! To the ramparts! Blasts the enemy spaceships out of the sky with nuclear bombs!

Oh Mr. Chase!!!! Always the optimist!!!!
Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

To answer some questions and make some points:

For THIS thread, "race" meaning the different sects of humans on the planet. ie: Merriam Webster Dictionary definition.

The aliens neither care what or how the "race" is picked....ONLY that a decision is made.

The aliens neither care about Earth politics or concerns.....one of the reasons the offer is made.....to get rid of politics and concerns on such things.

The aliens do not divulge why they want a race of people, nor do they say what they will do with them.

All the aliens want, is an answer before they leave at the end of the day. They do not care how the decision is made, only that they get an answer.

This is a social exercise in several things: social empathy, social logics, social status', social structures, and the ability to negotiate.

There can be several thousand different "paths" this exercise can take, as far as "answers" are concerned.

The point is not to find out who thinks they are better than everyone else, nor is it to hear all the "omg, no they didnt" type of responses. The point is, to come to a logical and definitive conclusion, considering all points from around the world (or from as many cultures as possible).

FYI -
Lulitu has the closest response to an "answer", from the path The Question took when it was asked to me.

But its all up to the people involved in the discussion, to see what path The Question takes, where it leads, and what final conclusions are decided.