Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The descrimination is getting old!
"Some black clergy see no good presidential choice between a Mormon candidate and one who supports gay marriage, so they are telling their flocks to stay home on Election Day. That's a worrisome message for the nation's first African-American president, who can't afford to lose any voters from his base in a tight race."

I want to start off by saying that to me discrimination by any human being to
ward another because of who they are is ludicrous. We all have been in situations where someone has discriminated against us because we were bigger, smaller, darker, whiter, gay, straight, catholic, or Muslim. We know how much it hurt inside when we were made fun of at one point in our lives and felt like an outcast.

What baffles me is that someone who is a minority and knows the struggles of what it was like to have to fight for their equal rights can turn around and tell another group of people who are fighting for their rights that they don't deserve to have them. “Dr. King never publicly welcomed gays at the front gate of his beloved community. But he did leave behind a key for them - his belief that each person is sacred, free and equal to all to others,” says Long, also author of the upcoming “Keeping it straight? Martin Luther King, Jr., Homosexuality, and Gay Rights.”

Do we really have to go another billion years with ignorance, no common sense, and no heart? How long will it really take us to realize how much others are hurting because of our ignorance.:eek:

I'm sick of it too, and it seems like the black/African-American community is against it more than anyone else even after all the b.s. from white supremacist. I think as long as we have religion and hatred being passed down like a family heirloom we might not ever get rid of the bigots.

intolerance is not tolerable:biggrin:

obvious you have not read here:
-honey big news, they hate us but gay men post here how the church they went to as straight men is not gay affirming enough
-children are still fearful to come out to their parents of 15-20 years
-gay men express total disgust at having a life partner.

I can't believe how backwards people can be.
Their primitive uneducated opinions really peeve me off.

pellaz Wrote:obvious you have not read here:
-honey big news, they hate us but gay men post here how the church they went to as straight men is not gay affirming enough
-children are still fearful to come out to their parents of 15-20 years
-gay men express total disgust at having a life partner.

I know there's a whole bunch of this going on of course. I cant list them all but its a prime example. I have been around gay guys who are racist and just shook my head like WTH. It doesn't make sense to me. Although a lot of people in this world lack common sense.

Sad to see such a sheltered view. It's funny that when Bush, a president who confessed his faith in God, the christian community wanted people to "pray for our leader". Now that neither candidate is the ideal christian, they want to be absent from the polls. They don't want to take on the role of a good christian person and spend time on their knees.

This country is only going to get more diverse as far as race, sexuality, religious preferences, and beliefs. We couldn't possibly expect things to be the way they always have been. What if a jewish guy runs? What if a buddhist runs for office? They won't vote and be the first to complain about things that they feel aren't right. I think people have forgotten what it's like to be discriminated against. BUT don't you dare compare being black to gay because that just trips people out you know. I always hear you can't come out as black, so being gay and black shouldn't be compared. Discrimination is discrimination.

As Blake has previously said, one would think with all the unjustified intolerance and hatred blacks have had thrown against them, they would be more empathic and willing to accept others who are in the minority. Now I know this one moron doesn't speak for an entire race and community - its still very disappointing to see so many people following his example.

*sigh* well, I went about a week with faith that the human race is finally progressing forward in their thinking....a personal new record.

I've known 3 blacks (and only counting heterosexuals, I can add more otherwise) who get really angry over this double standard, too. Perhaps it's telling that 2 are agnostic and one is a Taoist rather than another Christian.

Btw, all 3 have experienced persecution from the black community (and all 3 called "oreos" at one time or another, and the memory is so bitter to one that he can't even look at actual oreo cookies, though another has taken to calling herself an oreo in defiance but she just means she's gonna be her own person instead of letting them bully her into conformity as opposed to "trying to be white") as well as other racial groups for being too different.

Interesting enough, coming from a family of East Texas rednecks I can relate all too well as the reasons for my being shunned and sometimes treated with contempt by all too many rednecks (some related to me) in my family's hometown are all too similar (if cosmetically different).

That said, the NAACP has braved the scorn of black clergymen and officially come out on our side, and IIRC they (the bureaucracy at least) also opposed Prop 8 in California as well (even if many blacks, some I'm sure NAACP members, said they voted for both Obama and Prop 8 citing their Christian beliefs, just like every other race that said why they voted for Prop 8, god damn Christianity).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12...68476.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/19...30029.html

Oh, btw, I consider Mormons to be another type of Christian (just to prevent any confusion since obviously many Christians do not).

Oh, and just for humor (I know I've shared this before):

wintermoon Wrote:As Blake has previously said, one would think with all the unjustified intolerance and hatred blacks have had thrown against them, they would be more empathic and willing to accept others who are in the minority. Now I know this one moron doesn't speak for an entire race and community - its still very disappointing to see so many people following his example.

*sigh* well, I went about a week with faith that the human race is finally progressing forward in their thinking....a personal new record.

Awwww, I'm sorry I didn't mean to ruin your positive thinking. There are still plenty of good people out there mixed in with the douche bags we all love to hate. Without those people we would not be where we are today. So over time not to sound all preachy or religious we have weeded out the bad and things have got better. We still have more work to do but I'm very positive that us being gay will not be an issue even 15 years from now. Maybe even sooner then that. People have came a long way to educating themselves and eventually we will grow smarter and have more common sense. WinkWink

That video had me laughing hard. See it sounds stupid when you put it in a different way and it is. :biggrin::

I am multiracial(Italian/African-American/Danish/German/British) and I know what its like to feel like you don't belong. On top of that realizing that I am gay. When I came to this realization it was scary. I remember thinking as a teen I not only have to put up with being diverse in a small Missouri town but I am also gay in a small Missouri town. I remember thinking this is way to much for one person. Then I became more spiritual than religious because spirituality seemed to relate to me and seemed more loving and accepting of all people. Also I do have experiences where I can pick up on peoples energy and know things that others don't. So that added to the list. It was scary! I went with in myself to see how to handle these things because we all know being a teenager we all were or still are out for self discovery.

Over the years I struggled with this and of course it didn't help I was always that shy insecure person who could not stick up for myself. What I did notice was the way people treated each other. I paid attention and noticed that I had so much empathy toward people who were being hurt. My heart grew bigger and I realized that I did not want others to hurt like I did when I was picked on. I took all my negative experiences and turned them into positive by remembering how much it hurt me to be shoved around like an outcast and I could not do that to anyone. So now I try to be there as much as I can for people and help others when I can. I try not to be judgmental and shallow. We all are not perfect but the least we can do is try to better ourselves and be more understanding of each others views.

I do not have a problem with people who don't agree with others life styles. I believe its all of our rights to choose what to believe. I do have a problem with being people hurting others and when that happens then we should all step in and be there to put a stop to the hate. I believe that God/Universe or whatever higher power made me a Multiracial, Gay, Spiritual person is for me to learn from others hate towards me and turn it into good.