Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The feeling of depression.
Alot has gone on since mid December, I told my parents one night that I was gay, because they wanted me to get a haircut. My dad said I was full of sh**, so I ended up going for one. I thought it would have been easier for me if I told them, but it hasn't. Just a little over a month and now they want me to get another haircut just after I get my hair as long as I like it. I asked my mom, "How come I need a haircut only after a month, if I never went this often when I was younger?" She told me it's so I don't do girl things with it.

So if I'm thinking correctly, before when I could wait 3-4 months without a haircut, it was fine for it to get long, But now since I told my parents how I feel, they want me to get one AS soon as it gets 'too long.' Now that they know, they want me to stop feeling like that, even though my personality hasn't changed. Since last Thursday my stomach is felt an emptyness, nothing like the emptyness when you're hungry, It feels lonely I guess, I don't know what to really do...

It can feel pretty lonely being around people who won't really accept you for who you are - not that your haircut has anything to do with your sexuality, even if your parents seem to think otherwise.

As for what you should do: if you don't want to cut your hair, simply refuse to. It's not irrational or anything, how long your hair is shouldn't matter to anyone but you. The acceptance might take a little longer (because they don't seem to like the idea of their son being gay or?) but it'll come eventually Smile

Good luck and cyber hugs!

Often when I get depressed it gets the better of me. When I was one year younger than you, I was so depressed it was below neurosis. The strange sensations in my head made me feel like I was in Dante's Infierno. It gives you a feeling of solipsism, as if you were put in a horror movie and everyone else is an animation. When I was your age I sometimes tried to somehow turn myself straight. It's weird, wanting to want something. When I started to think about how my life might be like when I was an adult with my own life and not my parents life, I started to come out of it.
You should be proud you told your dad, I never did. I told my mom, some time ago in the summer after my first year at a university, but I didn't tell my dad. She thought, and still sort of does, think its all confusion and experimentation. My dad's feelings, not so innocent. My dad died a few months ago, and I never told him.
Just 1 or 2 more years living with your parents, and then with the future of medicine you'll probably have a 101 or a 102 more years, to live whatever way you want. Just study hard, work hard, and before you know it you'll have your own secretary to make your hair appointments.

It would appear you parents attend the 'nurture' theory of homosexuality, that is basically the things we do, our environment and how we dress make us gay.

They are wrong.... The truth is your mom made you gay when you were in her womb... Oh and its not wise to throw that in her face the next time you are angry - just keep it to yourself.

You have situational depression, events in your life are saddening you. You can break that chain and find other things that make you happy and focus on those as much as possible.

Listening to your favorite music, chatting with friends about 'silly' or non important stuff. Here are Gayspeak you can join in on the fun and games of our games threads: http://gayspeak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43 These are silly and people try to be funny to get people to laugh.

It won't completely take your mind off of the 'bad situations', but it will give you a break from thinking of such stuff thus break the saddness a bit to keep the depression from being set in hard.

We can't fix your parents, but you can change how you feel about your parents.

Lots of wise people are here, many have been where you have been and they will tell you what they did to 'deal with' the emotions and other stuff in their situations.

Parents are usually straight. That's why they had kids. It's really hard for them to understand homosexuality. It's like trying to tell a blind man what it's like to see. They will either have to accept who you are, or they will deny it. Either way you are who you are. Dressing and acting straight will not make it who you are.

Cheer up though man. You are a trooper and have done something this man is afraid of doing. Telling the parents is number one for hard things to do.

Perhaps you will go to college? Try to find one that lets you live on campus. There are usually some really good LGBT support groups. Sounds like you need some space while they work things out.

hello,
Sorry to hear about the problems ur getting over a haircut... If i was you id say to my parents since when did my hair tell me which side of the fence i will swing?? Dont let them dampen ya spirits because you done something you should be so proud of and if they are finding it hard to accept it tell them you are still you and in life what made your parents hetrosexual is the same thing thats made you homosexual. Being gay is not a crime but being a bad parent is...