Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fostering The last of the trilogy
I’m telling a tale that spans some 19 years. To tell the tale, Iv'e broken it into snapshots… Moments that had special meaning to us. I hope you don’t get to bored

Two shopping bags

“That’s it then”? I asked as he slammed the Landy’s door shut. It was an old series Landy and the door needed to be slammed!

The corners of his mouth lifted slightly then he busied himself with the seat belt. Back then, that’s about as good as communication got.

It had taken around a year. We had played by their rules, lost some battles, but finally won the war. The Lad was leaving the home.

And what a war it was. You see we were the very first in the country…

Not just any placement, a very unique one indeed..

A legitimate placement through the welfare, of a white teenage boy with a single gay man.
Not a special needs placement, or a trans-racial placement… This was very different. Here was a white boy with a white man. Blond, blue eyes, the top of his head came to just under my chin. A homophobe’s nightmare.

The war had raged on every level imaginable, from the Minister’s impressive boardroom table all the way down to the caregiver’s tatty couch at the home. The dust had settled. We had won.

Poor Chris. He had his hands full to, keeping all the other kids at bay, they all wanted in on the deal.

At first, mocked mercilessly by the others for choosing a “moffie”, yet as the end came into sight they hated him. Conspiring at every turn to make his life as unbearable as possible.

Alone, shunned, his world such as it was, lay in tatters. His only hope lay with me.

Hell! I even had to fight my own kind, for at the so-called “pride” parade, coincidently held right between the first and second meeting with the minister, some dick-head decided it was clever to carry a sign… “Give us your kids, we don’t fuck-em we eat them”.

The fall out from that was like dealing with a nuclear meltdown. The minister put the application under review, for a month while she reviewed “current public perception” We so nearly lost it all…

I will always hate those events, and am glad to see it dying out….

But even that wasn’t real minefield..

Summoned to the home, only a few days left to go… Sat round the table… The social worker, a police captain, and myself.

You see the tyke had been fingered for stealing washing off the line at the police (Yip, the police) flats nearby! I flipping ask you.. He was headed straight for reform school…

Closing argument: - “Captain, if you do this, he will be lost forever. Give him to me, and I promise it’s in the past” – Thank God, I won….

Anyhow, that was all behind. Truth be told, they where probably just glad to see the back of us, I had made their life a living hell.

A mere 14, twice before he had been placed out in a “family”. Only to have his hopes smashed into pieces. The reasons why? Not material. Just underscores the desperation for a life unfettered from the home-boy label that his peers had, for the past 7 years, taunted him with.

We hardly spoke. On the way we did the usual Wimpy, Then home.

A pair of broken sneakers, a small tog bag and two plastic shopping bags was all that needed to be carried in.

I remember busying myself with something in the kitchen and left the lad to settle in.

The first couple of weeks went by.
Nothing splendid, just the daily grind. Up in the morning, bath / shower, off to school then on to work, for him 2 busses home, for me, home, cook, then dishes, homework, goodnight’s said.

Weekends where spent cleaning house & garden, doing the itsy-bitsy shopping where I started slipping in the odd T here, a Jean there, undies, socks and so on. No particular reason in the mall, I felt his hand in mine.. I gave a gentle squeeze to let him know “It’s fine”….

The first of many changes.
“Uncle Warren, If I start calling you dad, you think it will upset my dad”?
“Come, sit down”
“ You have a father, he’s the one who made you, and I think that all he wants is that you are happy. Lots and lots of boys have two dads and that’s ok”.

A long pause….. Then “Dad”? “Yes” “Can I sleep here tonight”?

“Of course”… I said “Climb in son”…. It was the first of many such nights… about three months in fact.

The first of many yelling’s
Chores not done and I yelled at him. He just stood there. I stormed off.. A while later, Can’t find the bugger.. Glanced in his room, not there… Called, no answer…

Went back to his room and noticed that his duvet and pillows where missing.. That’s odd… Look again, notice duvet sticking out from under the bed… There he was hiding under the bed.

Fuck! That tore me apart. I set him down and we talked… Appears his uncle was in the habit of drinking and when he got drunk, he began shouting then hitting, so he used to hide away to escape the fists..

Poor Chris, I never imagined, all he was thinking about: -
Here it comes round again, Even worse, this family was falling apart… Again

The talk went on long into the night. Face expressionless, and in a subdued monotone I learned of many things.

Sleeping in shop door entrances with his mother and sister. Washing cars in the nearby car park to make money to buy food

Being sent to here there and everywhere to be looked after. About the first uncle who used to smash him up when he got drunk, and the next uncle who made him strip naked outside and hosed him down with the garden hose-pipe because he used to wet his bed…

What it was like to leave his mother behind when he was taken up into welfare.

The battery alarm that the home used to attach to his genitals because of bed-wetting, the shame, the mocking he had to endure from the other kids, at the home and at the school where most of them went.

The first placement where he was forced to wear the foster parent’s recently deceased son’s clothing to cut his hair the same way, and made to sleep in the same bed with the very same bedding..

The second placement where he was falsely accused of stealing, got shitty presents meanwhile their own son got really fancy stuff, turns out it was the biological son was doing the stealing to support a dope habit

Not one tear did he shed.. Life had long since taken that away…

Roll on a week or five
Music to my ears! Heard him whistling in the shower this morning… Sounded just like an asphyxiated kettle…. But he was whistling.

The chapter closes.
Where on earth is the tyke? Hunted all over. Finally, in the store-room sitting on the floor, two plastic shopping bags of broken toys & other junk spread out between his geeky 14 year-old legs… He looked up straight into my eyes, smiled and said “Don’t want these anymore”…

That was his way of putting it all behind, finally secure in the knowledge his life was finally coming round.

Me? I cried…

He no longer hold’s my hand….

Got the “I’m sleeping in my room today”

At his Father’s unmarked grave… “I want to put up a headstone someday”…

Ups and downs
It’s been good, very good as these things go; sure, there have been some rough patches.

Moved out lock-stock-and-barrel, moved back in, moved out (again) then moved back. Along the way, got high and crashed his car, I bought him another.

Pretty much, he’s always had a job, contributed what he can and about eight years ago met Jacky some nine years his junior the mother of his children to be.

The circle of life complete
The most significant note in my Diary: -
Ayden born @ 13:50 today (25-08-2009) and weighed in at 3Kg. (almost 4 years to the date as I pen this tale…

Standing in the maternity hospital I watched the circle of life become complete, as Ayden, wrapped in swaddling cloth, all pink and wrinkly, was handed to Chris by the nurse.

I think, of all the moments in my life, watching Chris, all of 6ft 4 in tears, trying figure out how to wrap his dinner-plates-for-hands around that tiny child, his first-born son, was definitely the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced.

I cried once more...

Our promise
These kids will never know the shit he and I have had in our lives..

Bought them a house, I’m going to stay in the cottage for at least a while
Now he looks after me, I don’t do the chores, the cooking, the washing any more

Epilogue
At 55, my chapter’s slowly closing, and that’s ok. A whole new one’s opening up

Thank you for sharing. You always manage to fill my heart with warmth just when it's feeling the most empty.

Richard

You are a good man, there tears in my eyes right now

I can hardly believe they let you have him but its such a good thing they did, as its proved by the Arrival of baby Ayden after all the ups and down. Wher could Chris be now if not for you, its a great thing you done and the battle was worth it :-)

Tavi
Thank you indeed, however the credit goes not to me, but to one long since passed....

Oh my beloved, beloved "mutt", how I miss you so...

Reference, a "mutts" tale....

Thank you for sharing this

BighugBighugBighug