Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The gender paradox of suicidal behavior
The role that gender plays as a risk factor for suicide has been studied extensively .

Females have higher rates of reported nonfatal suicidal behavior, males have a much higher rate of completed suicide.

Females are more likely to use methods that are less immediately lethal. Males frequently complete suicide via high mortality actions.

In nations that have banned guns, there is a drop in male deaths, not female.

(One explanation relies on the social constructions of hegemonic masculinity and femininity

Male gender roles tend to emphasize greater levels of strength, independance and risk taking behavoir.

Reinforcment of this often prevent males seeking help, unlike females .

It's cause Men are stubborn like Ox, Think like Pig, Prideful like Lion and are Donkeys. :hugs-and-kisses-smi

Actually I agree Partis, this would make sense to be true, seeing as how typically men don't like to seek help or talk about it

I personally like to do things myself, but am not so prideful as to not seek help when I need it, nor am I ashamed to cry and emote when I feel so inclined.

Hell, I cried when Asuma Sarutobi on Naruto died, and that's just an Anime.

I think men are beginning to turn around slightly tho. Ever slowly, but surely slightly Coffee

Makes sense, men are not prone to seek help, they are (ok, WE are) embeded into a more violent behavior overall and prone towards more reckless actions.

That combination explain rather well why men have greater "sucess" in killing themselves..

Sylph Wrote:It's cause Men are stubborn like Ox, Think like Pig, Prideful like Lion and are Donkeys. :hugs-and-kisses-smi:

Omg i saw a donkeys dick today (in a field) it was just looking right at me! (now i know where the saying "hung like a donkey comes from… damn! :p

It's because guys are not allowed to wuss out and have emotions. Half hearted attempts at suicide are seen as 'sissification' of a guy. Girls can do it and get sympathy, a guy does it and he is told to grow up and act like a man.

The 'attempt' at suicide, is a call for help in more cases than a real 'I'm killing myself' sort of thing. Girls can call for help, guys ain't allowed to call for help, they got to handle things like a 'real man' and actually do it.

As for the methods of self execution, girls don't like pain and more often than not want to leave a pretty corpse. When they romance their funeral they see an open casket, lots of flowers, etc. When a guy romances his funeral he sees a closed casket and the attendees shuddering at how gruesome and 'manly' his demise was.

Thus a bullet to the head is preferred by guys over gals, nothing says 'closed casket' like having half your head splattered across the wall. Girls prefer pills and slit wrists because their faces will still be pretty.

When I opted out, I went for a shit load of pills mixed with alcohol and a plastic bag over my head. Understand I researched how to kill oneself, the dosage I aimed for was lethal enough, ground and crushed and made into a paste to insure the rapid absorption of chemicals before the body could react and vomit it all out. And the bag was to insure suffocation. I researched the subject, went to the library, cracked open books.

Prior to using that method I scoped out the Golden Gate bridge, and saw all of the suicide notices and warnings. I couldn't get my hands on a gun... I considered jumping off a high building, but I didn't want my death to be that bothersome to the business of the day, besides I would die from embarrassment if I accidentally killed someone in the course of my suicide by landing on them.

Practical thinking it what often decides at guy's fate when it comes to suicide. Guys think about it as a problem that needs a real solution. Girls don't think of it as a practical 'The problem is my body is alive, how do I go about making it stop doing that annoying thing', they tend to think of the emotional impact aspect.

The gals who take the matter practically end up dead. When it comes to slitting the wrists, most do it the wrong way, they don't research the subject. Those who do research it do it the right way and end up reaching their goal.

Its not so much being born a specific gender as how each gender is treated differently in life.

To me jumping from a building is not an option… what if you suddenly wanted to live, really.… and my pretty face :p Yes my sister attempted suicide 15 years ago, cutting wrists… the wrong way, not up, it was a call for help. I knew straight away cause i knew she couldnt do that.