Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The genius of Buster Keaton
Five minutes of smiles and laughs. For me he was the greatest of the silent movie stars.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The Goat is my favorite Buster Keaton movie.
I also really like Coney Island with him and Fatty Arbuckle, for maybe obvious reasons.

Emiliano Wrote:The Goat is my favorite Buster Keaton movie.
I also really like Coney Island with him and Fatty Arbuckle, for maybe obvious reasons.

Glad you like him too Emiliano. He stands head and shoulders above Chaplin in my opinion.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Glad you like him too Emiliano. He stands head and shoulders above Chaplin in my opinion.

I think Chaplin was a genius too. Even though they are grouped together, I think they were doing two totally different things. Chaplin was all about pulling the audience in, kind of exploring the humanity of a situation. Keaton was more surreal, reminding the audience they are watching a film - his like special effects and film tricks were ahead of his time. And his dead pan delivery, t least to me, is more about exploring the absurdity of the situation. At least that's my take on it.

It's a shame Keaton didn't keep his creative control though, and he has a pretty sad personal life too. It would have been cool to see what else he would have pioneered had things gone differently.

Have you ever seen Limelight?

I like what I've seen of him so far; I think it might be time to see a little more.

Keaton is key.