Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hidden gay lives finally being uncovered
The hidden gay lives finally being uncovered

By Matt Cain - 14th June 2021

Earlier this year, the TV miniseries "It's A Sin" rightly won acclaim for its depiction of the Aids crisis in the UK during the 1980s and 1990s. But when I heard people raving about the show, written by Russell T. Davies, I was struck by how many of them admitted to knowing little about the epidemic – and the destruction it wreaked among the gay community.

That’s because, even in today's much more accepting society, the history of the gay and lesbian community is largely a forgotten history. For a long time, the mainstream public didn't want to hear our stories.

"I would venture to say that the public were disgusted and outraged," says author Crystal Jeans. She points to the response to the watershed lesbian novel The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall in the 1920s as just one famous example of the way authors have caused hysteria simply by acknowledging queer lives. Despite the book containing just two very mildly suggestive sexual references, "everyone went berserk and it was banned", she says.

Stephen Hornby, national playwright-in-residence for the UK's LGBT History Month, argues that our stories have long been actively suppressed. "The only interest used to be in censoring or denying any queer elements of the records of the past. So, things were kept from public display, passages were omitted from books and sexual relationships were presented as passionate friendships. That was willful and deliberate distortion."

But now society is becoming much more welcoming of queer people, there's a huge appetite to hear our stories. And there are so many amazing stories to tell. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/2021...-uncovered
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

(06-22-2021, 05:40 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: The hidden gay lives finally being uncovered

By Matt Cain - 14th June 2021

Earlier this year, the TV miniseries "It's A Sin" rightly won acclaim for its depiction of the Aids crisis in the UK during the 1980s and 1990s. But when I heard people raving about the show, written by Russell T. Davies, I was struck by how many of them admitted to knowing little about the epidemic – and the destruction it wreaked among the gay community.

That’s because, even in today's much more accepting society, the history of the gay and lesbian community is largely a forgotten history. For a long time, the mainstream public didn't want to hear our stories.

"I would venture to say that the public were disgusted and outraged," says author Crystal Jeans. She points to the response to the watershed lesbian novel The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall in the 1920s as just one famous example of the way authors have caused hysteria simply by acknowledging queer lives. Despite the book containing just two very mildly suggestive sexual references, "everyone went berserk and it was banned", she says.

Stephen Hornby, national playwright-in-residence for the UK's LGBT History Month, argues that our stories have long been actively suppressed. "The only interest used to be in censoring or denying any queer elements of the records of the past. So, things were kept from public display, passages were omitted from books and sexual relationships were presented as passionate friendships. That was willful and deliberate distortion."

But now society is becoming much more welcoming of queer people, there's a huge appetite to hear our stories. And there are so many amazing stories to tell. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/2021...-uncovered
Who is Matt Cain? 

Thanks for posting this. The history of homophobia is a long and nasty one. If we in the West imagine the fight for acceptance is over we should take a look at Russia, Nth Korea, Eastern Europe and many other nations. Then there’s the mindless bigotry of the religious to fight.
Speaking of the religious I’ll never understand their anti same sex rantings when so often they’re the perpetrators of pedophile crime. It appears far too many raised in a religious environment aren’t turned on until and unless they experience their actions as ‘sinful’ rather than just downright immoral. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gjmw/s...ign=210622
The Human Race is Insane.

(06-23-2021, 12:26 AM)Karl Rand Wrote: Who is Matt Cain? 

Thanks for posting this. The history of homophobia is a long and nasty one. If we in the West imagine the fight for acceptance is over we should take a look at Russia, Nth Korea, Eastern Europe and many other nations. Then there’s the mindless bigotry of the religious to fight.
Speaking of the religious I’ll never understand their anti same sex rantings when so often they’re the perpetrators of pedophile crime. It appears far too many raised in a religious environment aren’t turned on until and unless they experience their actions as ‘sinful’ rather than just downright immoral. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gjmw/s...ign=210622

Matt Cain is the author of The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle.

The LGBT community has made great strides forward, but we still have many more to go. Yes, we can get married now, and serve in the military, but there are other things we need to focus on. On top of that, the amount of hatred being dished out to transgendered people is constantly increasing.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

"The LGBT community has made great strides forward, but we still have many more to go.”
Yes indeed but who are ‘we’ ?

I think it was Oscar Wilde who wrote “Every age needs a witch to burn”. Only a guess but it appears to me now gay men and lesbians are more or less tolerated in the West (outside of fundamentalist Christianity that is) the more people feel the need to find another target (anyone transgender?) in order to make themselves feel virtuously ‘normal’.

Just read a few reviews of ‘The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle’ and immediately ordered a copy. 
Strangely I once knew a postie very much like him.

The Human Race is Insane.