Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The history of wars over the last millenium in 5 minutes
Have fun watching this. It's quite an amazing short cut to saying that humans are becoming increasingly dangerous towards each other... and the planet.

ww2: daaaaaammmmmmnnn:eek:

Oh yes!!!! Do we want a World War Three, given that example???

Well, that doesn't really show everything either. The definition of war changes things as well as ignorance about undocumented historical occurrences. For instance, there were several Pre-Columbian empires and nations in North and South America that fought a great deal. We just don't know what that looked like. The same can be said for parts of Africa, Asia, the Pacific Islands, and Australia.

Also, I think the increased number of people, the increased amount of travel, and the increased war technology is what is causing the increase of war and fatality. As long as humanity keeps populating/overpopulating the planet we can count on more and more war, famine, disease, and drought . . . lions, tigers, and bears.

Yes, I wondered about those parts of the map not receiving much attention but thought that it was probably to do with historical record of deaths etc...

princealbertofb Wrote:Yes, I wondered about those parts of the map not receiving much attention but thought that it was probably to do with historical record of deaths etc...

Well, both the Inca and Aztec were notoriously blood thirsty. I think they would have managed to make the map several times had records existed.

As a per capita rate of death from war I've read that we've actually been steadily decreasing, even including WW2. For example, the Taiping Rebellion (actually a civil war but Chinese historical revisionism has renamed it a rebellion) killed 20 million people in the 19th century when China's population was half what it was in WW2, where it lost a similar amount of people, and this was only one of many internal conflicts in China throughout the 19th century. We don't see anything like Genghis Kahn wiping out entire cities any more, maybe two examples of the atomic bombing of Japan being comparable. We don't see entire cities wiped out or enslaved, like the Athenians and Spartans did regularly in the Peloponesian War.

I read once that since man settled into permanent settlements not a single day has passed where there has been no conflict, battle, war, tribal warfare going on.

peace:
is the short interlude between wars where mistakes of the previous effort are analyzed and new campaigns are organized.

Fascinating, I thought there would have been more war through Africa, especially North Africa, but to watch war/conflict spread from Europe 2000 years ago to other countries that Europeans discovered/stole.