Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The latest trends in body grooming?
I'm sure we've had this debate before but the latest study of the case at hand (in hand?) reveals that shaving your pubic hair may make you more vulnerable or prone to Sexual Transmitted Infections (STIs) so what's your way of looking after your family jewels?

[Image: potd-161210-250932-big.jpg]
You can read up on this article in the Australian gay magazine DNA.
http://www.dnamagazine.com.au/articles/n...rettyPhoto

Ok, so now we know that everyone who manscapes is an irresponsible slut.

No, seriously? I really detest this sort of so-called 'journalistic' reporting. WTF??

But in this instance I'm baffled... are we to take this as suggesting that, somehow, whether or not you groom will have an impact on the possibility of getting an STI?

Perhaps it would help to take a look at the actual abstract of the study:

Quote:Correlation between pubic hair grooming and STIs: results from a nationally representative probability sample

Press Release

E Charles Osterberg1,2, Thomas W Gaither1, Mohannad A Awad1, Matthew D Truesdale1, Isabel Allen3, Siobhan Sutcliffe4, Benjamin N Breyer1,3
+ Author Affiliations

1Department of Urology, University of California—San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
2Department of Surgery, University of Texas—Dell Medical School, Austin, Texas, USA
3Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of California—San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
4Division of Public Health Sciences, Department of Surgery, Washington University—St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Correspondence to
Dr Benjamin N Breyer, UCSF Department of Urology, Chief of Urology, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Ave, Suite 3a20, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA; [email protected]
Received 19 April 2016
Revised 6 October 2016
Accepted 8 October 2016
Published Online First 5 December 2016

Abstract

Objective STIs are the most common infections among adults. Concurrently, pubic hair grooming is prevalent. Small-scale studies have demonstrated a relationship between pubic hair grooming and STIs. We aim to examine this relationship in a large sample of men and women.

Design We conducted a probability survey of US residents aged 18–65 years. The survey ascertained self-reported pubic hair grooming practices, sexual behaviours and STI history. We defined extreme grooming as removal of all pubic hair more than 11 times per year and high-frequency grooming as daily/weekly trimming. Cutaneous STIs included herpes, human papillomavirus, syphilis and molluscum. Secretory STIs included gonorrhoea, chlamydia and HIV. We analysed lice separately.

Results Of 7580 respondents who completed the survey, 74% reported grooming their pubic hair, 66% of men and 84% of women. After adjusting for age and lifetime sexual partners, ever having groomed was positively associated with a history of self-reported STIs (OR 1.8; 95% CI 1.4 to 2.2), including cutaneous STIs (OR 2.6; CI 1.8 to 3.7), secretory STIs (OR 1.7; CI 1.3 to 2.2) and lice (OR 1.9; CI 1.3 to 2.9). These positive associations were stronger for extreme groomers (OR 4.4; CI 2.9 to 6.8) and high-frequency groomers (OR 3.5; CI 2.3 to 5.4) with cutaneous STIs, and for non-extreme groomers (OR 2.0; CI 1.3 to 3.0) and low-frequency groomers (OR 2.0; CI 1.3 to 3.1) with lice.

Conclusions Among a representative sample of US residents, pubic hair grooming was positively related to self-reported STI history. Further research is warranted to gain insight into STI risk-reduction strategies.

That last parageraph should be the telling one. Lets look at it precisely: pubic hair grooming was positively related to self-reported STI history. <<< THAT is what this study reveals.

SO... folks... if you groom you're not doomed; you're just more likely to SELF REPORT any STIs.

Rolleyes

And BTW OP [MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION], I find it difficult to take your survey because none of the possible offerings accurately represent my personal choice: Shaved testicles and trimmed (but not shaved off) pubic hair. And, BTW, I haven't had an STI in 20 years. Of course I've barely had sex in 20 years, either, so... meh.

Thanks for those findings, [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION], I know this is probably all a bit of fluff. Needs more serious investigation, no doubt. Also sorry for not giving you your choice of an option but I didn't consider balls shaved but rest trimmed. I'm afraid I can't add that choice now, I should think.

It may sound vain but;

If he has hair down there of any notable and sizeable length, say longer than the space twixt his first two pinky knuckles;

He go haddi find he a next man to fondle his phallus, cause there is no way I would be able to handle that, personally speaking.

It gets too hot here for men to be wanting long longs, you'da have to be rid of that shit, just for the sake of cleanliness in my opinion.

But many men, find this is a "natural" part of being a Man, tho conveniently forget women does grow hair as well but I digress, and so yes I agree on that fact.

However, shaving should not be a taboo nor viewed as some sort of unmanly stigma.

Lord knows this test was probably in bias with a man who got hairy bolas, cause rarely if ever do similar studies give such cites for women.

In fact, a lot of places might say a hairy punani is what catches all the diseases.

But a man with hair wouldnt?

Gurl please. Come and go wheel again Sheep

I think there are probably a lot more major causes of STIs than body grooming, and more effective ways you can try and prevent getting them than going full bush. Personally I trim a little bit every now and again, just to keep it looking moderately tidy. My balls always go au naturel though!

What nice odor is there if you leave it au natural?
Do you smell better when you've never shaved?
Tongue

I just trim it sometimes.
I suggested that no one ever shaves it, it'll start growing so wild after it Tongue Not thicker or more, just wild.
Just trim it with a scissor. Probably won't make it go wild.
Or shave it once a week like your beard.

Ibex Wrote:What nice odor is there if you leave it au natural?
Do you smell better when you've never shaved?
Tongue

I just trim it sometimes.
I suggested that no one ever shaves it, it'll start growing so wild after it Tongue Not thicker or more, just wild.
Just trim it with a scissor. Probably won't make it go wild.
Or shave it once a week like your beard.

Odour is precisely the problem in a lot of male's cases.

Unless the pungent aromatized scent of Musky testosterone elicits a memetically pleasant response in you, you will be remiss to the want of smelling it again.

As it's olfactory purpose, is no longer a primary nor modern method of it's original use and is but a bygone leftovers from time immemorial;

Possibly, it is a sort of fetish or wanton errant desire of males to be "Men" especially for those of us with the inclination for homoerogenic desires.

But a mere folly this, as the correlation between hair and any invasive stimuli, is case sensitive;

And in this case, as is evident with men who does shave their heads and beards whence operating in the army, shaving would prove more beneficial to the negation of acquiring foreign and invasive matter.

Imagine a simple scenario:

A man with a big beard eats bread.

Crumbs entangle within his beard.

However, sans a beard, the crumbs would merely fall away:
And alternately, the crumbs would be easier to clean away, lessening the risk of a "buildup", which could lead to other things, namely odour.

Mind you, this is all opinion. I'm sure plenty men does clean well, even whilst hairy.

Could it not be the case, that those who trim or shave religiously are more sexually wired and therefore have a higher degree of exposure? More sex with more partners.

I trim my shaft and balls every day.
I started years ago. Maybe OCD?? It's just a habit.
I trim the bush about every 3-4 weeks.

My pubes don't seem to grow in length. If they did, I would trim them so they don't look messy, but I would never shave. Shaved is a total turn off for me. Besides, the idea of some sharp anywhere near my junk makes me cringe...other than teeth, that is.