Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The pardoning of an "indecent" act.
Gay men in the UK convicted of now-abolished sex offences to be pardoned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37711518

Or do you agree with George Montague in the article who doesn't want a pardon, he wants an apology?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Not really. All the people who set the laws are dead.

TigerLover Wrote:Not really. All the people who set the laws are dead.

But the people who are "pardoning" now are very much alive.

I think an apology that they weren't released SOONER would be nice...do like we do and sue.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:I think an apology that they weren't released SOONER would be nice...do like we do and sue.

I don't think it would be possible to sue over a law that was in effect at the time.

LONDONER Wrote:But the people who are "pardoning" now are very much alive.

A pardoning is a legal thing simply absolving someone of the legal consequences of a crime. It in no way implies that the people doing the pardoning are possible for the sentencing in the first place.

An apology on the other hand does imply fault. The person (or people) who have wronged you are the ones who should apologise for that wrong. If I tread on your toe then of course I will apologise. However if the person who happened to have the same job as me 50 years ago stands on your toe then no i'm not apologising, why would I, that'd be absurd and disingenuous.

LONDONER Wrote:I don't think it would be possible to sue over a law that was in effect at the time.

Well I may be wrong but here you can sue for damages, I mean over here it would likely get dismissed anyway...

I can understand his position.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Well I may be wrong but here you can sue for damages, I mean over here it would likely get dismissed anyway...

I can understand his position.

But America is a much more litigious society than the UK although we're trying to catch up.

LONDONER Wrote:But America is a much more litigious society than the UK although we're trying to catch up.

Well it is a good and bad thing...people tend to do or not do things to avoid being sued but everyone sues everyone for frivolous reasons at times... some of the lawsuits are nuts.
Check out my stuff!

Paul Twocock?

Private Members Bill?

Only in Britain!

I would think that Rescinding of Conviction would be more appropriate terminology but the spirit of the action is more important than the language.
I bid NO Trump!