Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The perfect PIZZA! (Cooking tips)
ShiftyNJ Wrote:...I learned something recently: shredded cheese in a bag has a coating (made of god knows what) on it to keep it from sticking together. For gratins and other cheese sauces, If you have the time, you are better off shredding it yourself because the pre-shredded doesn't blend as well with the other ingredients as it melts. Not sure it's as much as an issue in baked dishes like pizza or pasta.

The pre-shredded is not as nice in other dishes either compared to grating your own. It's also cheaper to buy cheese in bulk and shred it yourself. It's simply better all around...cost, texture and taste! This is why I have about a dozen graters instead of just one. Finally, I use a couple hand crank graters which I leave the cheese in and just store the hole grater and cheese together in gallon zip lock bags in the frig. I cut the block bulk up into chunks to fit the grater and keep those in the same bag. Saves space, time and money!! Xyxwave
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

MisterLove Wrote:...
d) The right cheese is important, too: I use a special combination of mozzarella + emmental...

I've never heard of emmental cheese before. How different/similar is it to regular swiss?

Nice topic thread idea. Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

BrianNorth Wrote:...My BEST tip: honey...
You are SO right about the great combo of honey with spicier seasoned foods. I LOVE sriracha and honey so much a mix it in a squeeze container and quick drizzle on lots of food...especially pizza! Wavey

StingRay Wrote:Something did for shits and grins once and do alot now.

Buy large frozen yeast bread that has to be left to thaw and rise before baking. Let it thaw in fridge (2 days) then clear off big space to roll it our flat and thin for pizza crust. I do a french bread loaf out to a oval that almost covers whole oven rack. Once its rolled out slide it on cardboard to get it in and out of oven.

For toppings I go freaky. Now I mostly do marinara instead of tomato sauce. load it up with whatever. Some I bake with no cheese over the marinara, let it get done then cover with cheese and broil. til it browns some. Plenty of oregano for sure. Only real mozzarella if I can find it. The shit sold by Kraft and others aint even close to mozzarella. I dont think theres a chain pizza company using real mozzarella anymore.

I use sour dough bread for the lower glycemic effect and it make great pizza crust.

Also, here's my fav brand (belgioioso) of cheese:
[Image: LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4q4VqTL_sPE%3d...portalid=0]

Borg69 Wrote:I frequently get Papa Murphy's U-Bake pizzas. I get the combination ones - the more various toppings the better. I get it with the white garlic sauce instead of the red tomato paste sauce. ...It's fabulous. FABULOUS!!!!

Where do you find these? The white garlic sauce sounds yummo.

CCRox Wrote:Where do you find these? The white garlic sauce sounds yummo.

http://stores.papamurphys.com/mobile/

Try here!

CCRox Wrote:The pre-shredded is not as nice in other dishes either compared to grating your own. It's also cheaper to buy cheese in bulk and shred it yourself. It's simply better all around...cost, texture and taste! This is why I have about a dozen graters instead of just one. Finally, I use a couple hand crank graters which I leave the cheese in and just store the hole grater and cheese together in gallon zip lock bags in the frig. I cut the block bulk up into chunks to fit the grater and keep those in the same bag. Saves space, time and money!! Xyxwave

Since I read this I don't like snack cheese that is pre-cut either. I can tell there is something different about it!

My parents had a wonderful hand crank grater, something like this, but I can't believe it was that expensive. I don't like the pyramid kind; I always end up grazing my knuckles on it.

CCRox Wrote:I've never heard of emmental cheese before. How different/similar is it to regular swiss?

Nice topic thread idea. Xyxthumbs

I believe the idea is this: use mozzarella cheese for texture and add something stronger for flavour, any type or brand will do the trick.

BrianNorth Wrote:I recently got one of those ninja blenders with the food processor attachment and it works awesome for pizza dough. I don't need the breadmaker anymore as I used to let it mix all the ingredients and time the punch down but often it'd just make a mess unless the ratios were perfect.

I use this incredible machine called Thermomix, it's amazing how versatile it is.

Emmental is "the same thing" as swiss cheese in the sense that it is the original which American commercial swiss imitates. Emmental is a region in Switzerland and has developed a particular style of cheese. there are other cheese made in other regions of Switzerland so, to a Swiss, it would be strange to call Emmental "swiss." Emmental has more character and depth of taste than grocery store generic swiss. In texture it is denser and less rubbery.
I bid NO Trump!