Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The perfect PIZZA! (Cooking tips)
LJay Wrote:Ray, you might do some googling for making homemade mozzarella. My sister does it and says it is not hard to do. Is there any buffalo milk around there?

Up here there's loads of wild bison but you don't want to think about milking one of them. LOL. There's a small chain of stores up here that carry MozzAmore from Italy but theyre out half the time. I finally found out why. They have to order direct from Italy in real big quantities and it takes weeks or months to get the delivery. When warm right out of the oven MozzAmore will will make cheese strings 2 ft long. It's a whole other smell too.

One of the reason the stores run out is the way people up here shop. People in cities shop normal. The further you get out from cities where all the big stores are the bigger the quantities people buy of things they eat alot or like. When I see MozzAmore I always buy 4 or 5 if I need em or not.

StingRay Wrote:Up here there's loads of wild bison but you don't want to think about milking one of them. LOL. There's a small chain of stores up here that carry MozzAmore from Italy but theyre out half the time. I finally found out why. They have to order direct from Italy in real big quantities and it takes weeks or months to get the delivery. When warm right out of the oven MozzAmore will will make cheese strings 2 ft long. It's a whole other smell too.

One of the reason the stores run out is the way people up here shop. People in cities shop normal. The further you get out from cities where all the big stores are the bigger the quantities people buy of things they eat alot or like. When I see MozzAmore I always buy 4 or 5 if I need em or not.

Costo had a great brand of mozzarella bufala for a while, but they stopped carrying it. I have to keep an eye out for it somewhere else. My family's village is just inland from the area in Italy where it is produced. I wish I could a regular supply from over there.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:Costo had a great brand of mozzarella bufala for a while, but they stopped carrying it. I have to keep an eye out for it somewhere else. My family's village is just inland from the area in Italy where it is produced. I wish I could a regular supply from over there.

After talking home made pizzas I been craving them all day. On my way to work in the morning I want to stop at Walmart for the bread dough and let it thaw out to make some Saturday. I hate having to get whatever mozzarella Walmart has but I can make do with it.

I went to the small grocery butcher liquor store here in town earlier and asked the owner about getting real mozzarella. He went right in the office to get the books from his suppliers to see if they carry it. I wrote down the names to check out online and get back to him later. If you have a small indy grocery store like ours you can try getting them to get it for you. Ours is real good about getting things people request. If he gets some real mozzarella I told him I will buy all he cant fit in his display cooler and put in the freezers we have.

StingRay Wrote:After talking home made pizzas I been craving them all day. On my way to work in the morning I want to stop at Walmart for the bread dough and let it thaw out to make some Saturday. I hate having to get whatever mozzarella Walmart has but I can make do with it.

I went to the small grocery butcher liquor store here in town earlier and asked the owner about getting real mozzarella. He went right in the office to get the books from his suppliers to see if they carry it. I wrote down the names to check out online and get back to him later. If you have a small indy grocery store like ours you can try getting them to get it for you. Ours is real good about getting things people request. If he gets some real mozzarella I told him I will buy all he cant fit in his display cooler and put in the freezers we have.

Garofalo is my favorite but there are other good ones. Costco stopped carrying it a while back and I keep meeting to ask when I go there, but it's usually a madhouse. I'm surrounded by Italians so I am sure I could find decent, locally-made stuff in a small place but this had the added advantage of being mad cheap.

BrianNorth Wrote:I usually make us pizza once a week. My BEST tip: honey. .

This is surprisingly good!

I was a bit skeptical at first but it turned out great.

And it's not just the wonderful contrast of flavours, the honey also gets this great golden brown color and it looks gorgeous!

MisterLove Wrote:This is surprisingly good!

I was a bit skeptical at first but it turned out great.

And it's not just the wonderful contrast of flavours, the honey also gets this great golden brown color and it looks gorgeous!

It sounds weird at first for sure! We have a restaurant in town that is booked weeks in advance and all they do is fancier pizzas. It's def major overrated but the one pizza had honey on it and I've been stealing the idea ever since.

My favorite is pizza bianco with mushrooms and a little truffle oil.

Great, now I want pizza. Pizza

Use a pizza stone or if you haven't got one then preheat a heavy baking sheet and slide the pizza onto it before baking.

ck86 Wrote:Use a pizza stone or if you haven't got one then preheat a heavy baking sheet and slide the pizza onto it before baking.

I never tried one.

I always use a non-stick pizza baking pan that has holes in the bottom, so that the pizza is evenly cooked. And because it is non-stick, it's always extremely easy to remove the pizza.

What's the difference between a baking pan and a pizza stone?