Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The president and gay marriage
Thank you all

Excuse my ignorance here, but what does SCOTUS stand for?

And given that SSM is recognised in a number of non US countries, what would your status be should you get married overseas then return to the US? (Your other partner could be a non US citizen)

There is a lot of noise here in the UK about SSM. Currently we have a Civil Partnership, which is recognised throughout the land, where you are effectively married in everything but name, and have all the legal rights of a straight marriage. You can even have a church blessing if thats your fancy (although not in all churches though)

There is a very vocal minority in the UK who seem to have taken up the SSM cause as an absolute right, to the point that it does make me a little uncomfortable, but they see it as a fundamental right, no exceptions.

Me, Im happy to have full legal "married" status and entitlements without having the right to demanding that the church recognise me as being married. Maybe thats just me, but I do suspect there is a larger (silent) majority of gay couples who are very content with how far things have come over the past 7 years.

ObW

SCOTUS = Supreme Court Of The United States

OlderButWiser Wrote:Excuse my ignorance here, but what does SCOTUS stand for?

And given that SSM is recognised in a number of non US countries, what would your status be should you get married overseas then return to the US? (Your other partner could be a non US citizen)

There is a lot of noise here in the UK about SSM. Currently we have a Civil Partnership, which is recognised throughout the land, where you are effectively married in everything but name, and have all the legal rights of a straight marriage. You can even have a church blessing if thats your fancy (although not in all churches though)

There is a very vocal minority in the UK who seem to have taken up the SSM cause as an absolute right, to the point that it does make me a little uncomfortable, but they see it as a fundamental right, no exceptions.

Me, Im happy to have full legal "married" status and entitlements without having the right to demanding that the church recognise me as being married. Maybe thats just me, but I do suspect there is a larger (silent) majority of gay couples who are very content with how far things have come over the past 7 years.

ObW

This case is precisely what happened to Michael, a once member of this site... He is American, and fell in love twenty-two years ago with his German boyfriend; they lived in Germany for a long long time. Now Fred, his partner (husband, they got civilly partnered under German legislation) and he have gone back to live in the US, but Florida, for the moment, does not recognise gay marriage. He was really very angry about the fact that his lawfully wedded husband and he had to go through separate doors at customs upon arrival, as if they were just two disconnected entities. I can understand why Michael is still so vocal about getting these rights recognised in every state of his homeland. Rightly so.

For me and my partner, the laws of both our countries are too different for us to make a choice. The French civil partnerships (PACS) do not cover what the British civil partnerships cover (as you so wisely pointed out, ObW, they are akin to marriage in every respect save name) because they only recognise certain aspects of the partnership here. Aspects linked to inheritance etc, would still have to be treated as if both of us were single.

I'm looking forward to our new government taking that extra step that will give us equality of treatment with straight marriages, even if it does bear another name, something that would put both our homelands on par in terms of legislation and recognition.

I would, however, like for there to be just one name for the institution. Some blab on and on about marriage being ''the union of a man and a woman'' and the basis for families etc... because biologically, etc... Well, yes, maybe so, and maybe it was so in the past. But things have evolved. They come from all the progress we've made technologically in IVF, in surrogacy, in the ability of women to control and plan childbirth, and to lend their bodies, if they will, to a couple who can't conceive (and this is not only for gays). While we can't change the biology of a man and woman being the only way to conceive another human being, the ways of conceiving that human being have been drastically changed, enough for Lesbian couples to have children, enough for infertile couples to reproduce, enough (why not?) for two gay men to reproduce. Otherwise, all these couples could adopt.
One case that I heard of on the radio the other day had a lesbian couple (partnered today, I assume) who had each on their own adopted two Tahitian sisters. But because these children were adopted by two single people, who at the time could not be partnered or wedded, these sisters don't bear the same family name, even though all four of them have been living as a family unit for the past 25 or more years. Today the two mums could share a name through the PACS but the children would still bear different names (the maiden names of each of their mothers). Similarly, I think there would be difficulties in terms of inheritance, one of the daughters not being recognised as the daughter of one of the mothers and vice-versa. These are situations that already exist ipso facto and have existed for 30 odd years, or more. Why don't these children (now adults) have the right to have a family like everybody else, and the right to enjoy similar rights in terms of inheritance? By the way, in France children can't be disowned by their parents, it's the law. Similarly, because they bear different names, the sister could almost, technically speaking, not be considered as sisters, even though they were conceived by the same Tahitian parents.

It seems to me that those who oppose SSM and gay adoption are so aware of all the crap that they put us through, that they can only imagine how difficult they will make life for a newborn, whether adopted or conceived artificially in a gay couple. If they really cared for children, as they purport, they would try to place as many adoptees in loving families, regardless of the parents' sexual orientation. All of this just smacks of ignorance, a failure to see reality as it is in our modern societies, discrimination and an absence of love for their fellow human beings (and I mean the children, first and foremost).

Why are straights allowed to produce so many babies that they DON'T WANT if they're so worried about how children will be brought up and cared for? In this day and age, it just doesn't make sense to have so many uncared-for children. It is revolting and shocking.

princealbertofb Wrote:If they really cared for children, as they purport, they would try to place as many adoptees in loving families, regardless of the parents' sexual orientation. All of this just smacks of ignorance, a failure to see reality as it is in our modern societies, discrimination and an absence of love for their fellow human beings (and I mean the children, first and foremost)

I warned the kids that some people might not like me being with their mom. The boy has been spared most of that (some parents wouldn't allow their kids play with him as they don't want their kids exposed to us but he's had too many other friends to notice), but the girl got a big dose of it.

Long story short (and skipping a lot) a preacher--the one I mentioned in a recent post talking to about gay marriage with as he drove me and a girl I take care of home, btw--along with a few other people (some neighbors at the time, one being a landlady though luckily she was just one of multiple landlords who worked for someone else and a lawyer made her back down), after failing to break me and my partner up for the "sake of the children" tried to evict us AND went to the school board and tried to get my partner fired. Either one could've put us, including our kids, on the streets (succeeding a both definitely would've). So we know they didn't give a damn about our kids as they claimed (and if they'd succeeded with their evil plans they'd have said God got us instead of them).

Our girl "felt the Christian love" so much that she's got an attitude against the religion now where she hadn't before. The one part I loved is where they tried to tell her I was evil by citing Romans 1 (why do Christians think quoting the Bible is going to convince someone who isn't a Christian that they're right? :confused: ) and she told the speaker, "You're gay then." She then pointed out they lied, were malicious, without mercy or affection or love, and trying to teach her to not honor her mother.

But the part I loved the most was the part that made me end wondering if they were secretly sorry I'd come into their lives...we'd just left Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows P1 and she said the Death Eaters reminded her of the fundies who were tormenting us at the time and trying to make us all homeless in that the Death Eaters said muggles (those without magic) were inferior and deserving of punishment yet at the same time they were printing pamphlets of muggles who weren't severely oppressed raising weapons to wizards, and just the insanity of being evil and projecting their malice into their victims reminded her of the Christians butting into our life (the boy didn't say anything which I assume meant he was inclined to agree).

All in all that's one little girl who will probably never grow up to accept Jesus, and the boy isn't likely to either. Well done, Christians, well done.