Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We've been pronouncing names incorrectly
Yup, I have been pronouncing Ikea, Nike and Nutella wrong Biglaugh

Well I pronounce most of those wrong and i shall continue to do so. If Shakespeare can randomly make up words then I should at least be able to mangle some.

Well, literally everyone I know pronounces the three I mentioned incorrectly, so I see no reason to change.

Insertnamehere Wrote:Yup. French. Bloody French. Of all the languages I've either been forced to or looked by myself to learn, it takes the crown as the most complicated one. Then again I'm not interested in learning Japanese, so maybe that one is worse :biggrin:

it can't be that difficult for someone whose native language is a Romance language. they're all practically a copy-and-paste.

what was the easiest language for you then? if French was the most complicated one.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:it can't be that difficult for someone whose native language is a Romance language. they're all practically a copy-and-paste.

what was the easiest language for you then? if French was the most complicated one.

English from the get go, with Portuguese coming in second place.

In the basic vocabulary and few phrases I've learned from these, Latin and Greek have also been easier and have stuck with me when I stopped actively learning them. Of course I don't quite get spoken Greek up to this point.

I would venture I'm more or less fluid in written and spoken English, given my experiences here.

Portuguese, so far, is fairly easy to read, moderately easy to talk (with flaws in proper pronouciation) and a bit harder to understand when spoken but not an impossible task.

With French, though, I might as well be listening to German. I might pick up a few words here and there but other than that, I'm lost.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]