Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The word "retarded"- A vicious slur or a misunderstood slang term?
Wink
Uneunsae Wrote:BTW, congrats on your recovery. Smile

Thanks!Wink

I do not like the word and I would not use it. I think more often than not it is used to insult somebody.

Even in it's former medical use, it's an unfortunate word choice. It defines a person as being slow in several developmental areas, and stops there. Period.
My nephew has medical issues which his doctor defines as developmentally challenged. To me, that word challenged implies that he's up against some tough odds BUT he has the ability to work to make the most of what he has. And it inspires all of us who love him to focus on the positive.
And I'm in NA so I completely get what East said, and I agree with it - for me.
But a 9 year old child can be devastated by words.

If you call somebody a retard in the West of Scotland you are probably going to be fighting. Hoping he/she has no knife! 95% sure it would be a criminal offense under abusive behaviour.

Indeed called me a retard and it would be made clear quickly my position! Minus the knife!! We did say it during school years... So sort of sums it up.... Wee daft idiots use it here. Smile Even dafter to utter it as an adult to another without some reaction.

these days its just a word said to get a reaction just like calling someone fat, ugly etc - don't react and the word is nullified