Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Therapy
Hey everyone, I have a question that I'm curious about. I've been seeing a therapist for about 10 months now. Mostly trying to break me out of my depression. While there are certain things I've been made aware of, such as my more potent thoughts, I feel as though I haven't really moved much. I'm very good at masking my feelings and while I've tried my best to make myself feel better, I can't seem to change my thoughts or feelings.

For anyone who has gone through therapy, was it helpful? Was there an 'aha' moment that changed it for you?

Well i've been going to psychotherapy sessions for about five years now.
It helps me feel better in the short term after an apointment. Confusedmile:
While i do feel a LOT better about myself in general compared to when i started and feel i know my thought patterns a bit better now, i still haven't changed much in my physical day to day behaviour since i stared.:frown:
But then the effects of twelve years of bullying isn't exactly going to disappear overnight...or in my case, over five years.:redface:

Perhaps my experience is unusual though, and most people do change more and end up not needing therapy?

I don't really think there is an "Aha!" moment when it comes to therapy...
Sorry if this post isn't the most helpful XRIMO.:redface:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Thanks for your input Genersis. We have our individual issues don't we.

I hope it works for you! Smile

There are many different sorts of 'therapy' I've been through non-directive counselling and cognitive and behavioural therapy.

The first felt like it was helping but in the long-term didn't. The second really did help.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

XRIMO Wrote:Hey everyone, I have a question that I'm curious about. I've been seeing a therapist for about 10 months now. Mostly trying to break me out of my depression. While there are certain things I've been made aware of, such as my more potent thoughts, I feel as though I haven't really moved much. I'm very good at masking my feelings and while I've tried my best to make myself feel better, I can't seem to change my thoughts or feelings.

For anyone who has gone through therapy, was it helpful? Was there an 'aha' moment that changed it for you?

For me, a few things were revealed, and there was more than one Eureka moment.

For instance when it comes to addiction and alcohol abuse. While people told me over and over again that I was most likely self-medicating, using substances to 'deal with' emotional crap, er I mean stuff Wink - it was just words. It had no meaning to me, I just didn't 'get it'

Until the day came when I was talking at the therapist and suddenly changed to talking TO the therapist when about 1000 watts went through the 5 watt light bulb that is my brain. Suddenly I understood - really understood that yes, my drinking and doing drugs was in fact me self medicating myself to deal with other stuff.

I most likely would have continued to stumble around in the dark had I not been going to therapy and 'talking it out'.

The biggest help was the tools I was given to 'deal with' and 'cope with' 'stuff'. While things didn't actually change and there was no sudden resolution, I had tools I didn't previously have to lessen the sting of the arrows of those things that hurt me.

Therapy is a process, its like peeling an onion, one layer peeled away revealed another layer, then another, then another.

It won't fix everything, it will leave you with some tools in order to cope and deal with day to day things, it may also lessen the blow if you start having and idea 'why' such and so and so is taking place inside of you.

Bowyn hit the nail on the head! YOu get out of therapy what you put into it! don't be afraid to change counselors either! No difference in mental health than there is in physical health - get a 2nd opinion!

What Bowyn said about tools is also spot-on! YOur therapist/counselor should be giving you tools, techniques and excercises to help you modify the way you process information and make decisions.

I went for about 6 months after i came out and it really helped!

Hey. ;D

I think overall it takes time. Some people may have those "aha" moments, others may just come to a slow realization of what needs to be done.

BobInTampa Wrote:Bowyn hit the nail on the head! You get out of therapy what you put into it! don't be afraid to change counselors either! No difference in mental health than there is in physical health - get a 2nd opinion!
i concur completely. just be sure and shop around until you find one that you can connect with -then stick with it and be honest.

Most depression steams from ur childhood. U never were allowed to be like u but ur "mom's good boy" false self; as a consequence, ur depressions has been increasing during those all years.
Most therapists just try you to think this depression feelings doesn't exist or can be jumped but this 'black hole' keeps being there.

Depression comes from that black hole and it means feelings of inadequacy, emptiness, and feeling "defective". Of course these memories are deeply buried in the depth of ur mind and you are not really aware why you feel like that.

It's very possible your relationship with your father has been broken and you are trying to solvei old wounds through same-sex partners.

I have seen several therapists but was not able to stick with any.
Maybe it was lack of patience on my behalf.

But also, addressing issues and disecting it too much can bring you down instead of move right on past it.
I decided to just keep moving on rather than feel like crap everytime I am forced to think about my issues.

For me my best therapist has been my dog.
I raised a puppy for the first time alone, and I learned the basic of bonding and relationships from my dog, and that was truly an "a-ha" moment for me.