Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unrequited?
This lovely video clip came to my attention. I wanted to share... for all the broken HerzHerzHerz

Pretty brave of this guy to be releasing this song himself, no label or manager. I really hope it does well, we could do with more music like this being put out. I mean, I can't remember the last time I saw a gay artist put out a song that was so unashamed of their sexuality, and actually told a story that so many of us related to.

I mean, it's not like I expect every gay singer to have a big arrow pointing at them saying "Hey, look at me! I like boys", but it's definitely a breath of fresh air to see someone singing about their feelings, and not awkwardly tip-toeing around the object of their affections with "you", "they", etc.

For too long I think a lot of artists have felt the need to either vague-up their sexuality if they want to succeed (such as Darren Hayes and his female "love" interest in Bloodstained Heart), or completely rely on it, and shove it in peoples faces (i.e- Adam Lambert). It's nice to see a singer who can be gay, and open about it, yet at the same time not make it seem like a huge deal.

Top stuff, once again I thank you for sharing Tongue

While being personal, a song can also often speak to the masses, so it's not altogether surprising when the object of the love is not made totally clear, and his or her gender is unknown. It makes the song more universal, and thus it can apply to anyone who has felt the same, regardless of gender.

PS Don't those guys have wonderful bodies?

Haha, yeah they certainly do. Especially the singer himself Tongue

I do agree to some extent with the generalization for the sake of mass-consumption, but I just feel like it also leaves a bit of a gap, especially for younger gay teens. Heterosexual male singers seem to have no qualms with using "she", "her", etc, and I've just personally always felt like it makes a song a little less relatable to me. And when a gay singer is singing about love with a girl in the video, it makes me feel like they're a little ashamed.

Admittedly when it comes to the more generic songs it doesn't really matter, but it's nice to see a song with completely relatable lyrics for a change :3 The story of unrequited love itself has been done before, but I can't remember the last time I heard a song where it was made clear that the love was unrequited specifically for the reason of orientation, and I think it's inherently relatable.

Personally, if this was around when I was about 17-18... I never would have stopped listening xD

Yes, that's why I posted it, I thought it would be an experience many young (or older) gay males would relate to.

I wonder if the "straight" boy is keeping up appearances and it's too early for him to admit he's same-sex attracted?

Here's hoping! xD They'd be cute together lol