Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Think about it
meridannight Wrote:then the effect is a psychological one. maybe not image for you, but something else then (habit, having something ''to do'', etc).

the only active ingredient in the conventional cigarettes is nicotine. electronic cigarettes are a full substitute for that. but, of course, they're not the same thing psychologically. that's the only thing you can't substitute when switching.

end of story.

The only habit I found that releases the tension of dealing with people is a baseball bat over their head... Unfortunately that is illegal in all areas except North Dakota - but who wants to live there? :eek:

Honestly, for those of you who never picked up the smoking habit (which is great and wonderful) you cannot comprehend what it is to be a smoker and what it is like to quit smoking.

Yeah sure, many have quit - but even they will tell you that the habit never fully leaves and they spend a good deal of time combating the enemy of tobacco in their head.

Most people who smoke do so because it relieves tension. Its a stress reducer, and while you may be all high and mighty about your ability to handle stress without a smoke, the reality is you most likely have a lot more 'issues' and 'habits' to relieve tension.

This whole 'anti-tobbacco' campaign is based on faulty data to begin with, furthermore, peer pressure to quit doesn't do anything to make a smoker more prone to quit - if anything it makes smokers wants to get up in your grill and blow smoke in your face until you turn blue and die.

Why? Because you are adding stress - and smokers don't handle/process stress like you do.

^^^^ Yes all of what Bowyn said!!!^^^^ Ya hit the nail on the head Bow! Thank you.
I can EXPLAIN it to you but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you
Spoiler:
!

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:This whole 'anti-tobbacco' campaign is based on faulty data to begin with,

yeah, keep telling yourself that. ALL those physicists, chemists, and statisticians are just making it up as they go. get real man. you can make a personal case of being psychologically addicted to it, i get that. but this quote is just pathetic.

Quote:furthermore, peer pressure to quit doesn't do anything to make a smoker more prone to quit - if anything it makes smokers wants to get up in your grill and blow smoke in your face until you turn blue and die.

Why? Because you are adding stress - and smokers don't handle/process stress like you do.

i am aware of this. still doesn't change the reality.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Smoking... there is more to it than meets the eye. Sure nicotine is addictive, but, it goes beyond that.

Man has a romance with smoke and fire, the control of the fire, looking at it, watching the smoke rise up, it's wired into us, it goes back to the days of our prehistoric ancestors, harnessing, controlling and using fire for protection and warmth, then these ancestors found that meat tasted better when cooked,
unknowingly (from what I have read) when they cooked meat it provided protean that fed the brain, early man began to grow mentally from eating cooked food.

So, what does this have to do with cigarettes? The flame and smoke appeals to our primitive instincts,
a certain comfort and romance is found by smokers when they light up.

At least that's my theory.

meridannight Wrote:yeah, keep telling yourself that. ALL those physicists, chemists, and statisticians are just making it up as they go. get real man. you can make a personal case of being psychologically addicted to it, i get that. but this quote is just pathetic.

i am aware of this. still doesn't change the reality.

http://www.sott.net/article/229156-Lies-...ng-Crusade

http://www.thetruthisalie.com/

I can keep posting more links for you.

See as a smoker I did the research on BOTH sides of the equation because you see I'm a smoker and I do have at least one little fuck left to give for my over all general health and well being.

The hardest pill to swallow when it comes to the whole 'Smoking is going to kill us all' mentality is that the initial papers used to make this point were similar to the papers/research that 'proved' that saccharine was a cancer causing agent.

The research is done like so - take a wee tiny rat and introduce 100's of times more of the substance than any human being could ingest (willingly) and see what happens.

Hell science has pretty much discovered that good old fashion water will kill ya, if you drink enough of it in a short period of time. There have even been people who have died from drinking water.

With the same logic applied, where is the Anti-Water folk condemning the drinking of water?

That whole Truth movement was sparked by one man who has made a shitload of money off his campaign - yet complains because tobacco companies make a shitload of money off of tobacco.

Pot - Kettle - Black.

Go ahead, now go and look up the truths about Truth and the truths about tobacco usage and who really does and does not get lung cancers and other crap.

Sure, anyone can say its because you were exposed to smoke once back in some bar that you got lung cancer - but honestly that's fudging facts to fit an agenda.

meridannight Wrote:you're being rather ignorant on this topic.
Not at all. Obviously my sarcastic humor isn't obvious. To you. I'm simply giving voice to the attitude of everyone -- even the so called "environmentalists" -- living in the developed world.

OMFG, to your, "Smoking alone spews 2.6 million tons of CO2 ... into the atmosphere every year." Holy JFCOAS!

Say, do you drive? (I don't.) Did you know that, according to a 2013 study, over 40 BILLION tons of CO2 are put into the atmosphere every year from burning fossil fuels?

The "ignorant" attitude I'm displaying is the same ignorant attitude that everyone who lives in contemporary post industrial society displays. The electronic device you're using right now to read these words -- how much pollution and environmental degradation resulted from the acquisition of the raw materials, manufacturing of its various parts, packaging, shipping, distribution, and inevitable disposal? What about the desk or table you're sitting at? The chair or couch you're sitting on? What about the building you live in? What about the food you just ate for dinner and the energy you used to cook it with (not to mention the energy that was used to plant, cultivate, harvest, ship, process, package and distribute it)? What about the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet -- EVERYTHING you use every day including your multiple trips to the toilet, have a direct impact on the earth and, vis-a-vis, ME and MY quality of life

OK?

So don't give me any 'tude, dude! If you're living in contemporary society, you are contributing to the destruction of this planet.

2011, so you know its only worse now:

Quote:Approximately 2.6 billion people [i.e., approximately one third of all humanity] around the world lack any sanitation whatsoever. More than 200 million tons of human waste goes untreated every year. In the developing world, 90 percent of sewage is discharged directly into lakes, rivers and oceans. And even in developed countries, cities depend on old, rickety sewage systems that are easily overwhelmed by a heavy rain.

All this untreated sewage adds up to a major public health crisis that kills an estimated 1.4 million children each year, according to the World Health Organization. That's one child every 20 seconds, or more than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. ...
Source.

Obviously I could go on and on and on, right? WE LIVE IN A MEDIA MEDIATED DAY DREAM THAT EVERYTHING IS JUST FINE AND DANDY (so long as we have a job and pay our taxes, yay).

Bah fucking humbug.

It isn't as though the message is false...and it does make a valid point...but I will always be an addict even if I am not doing anything addictive.... and I know the dynamics behind the psychological addiction well...and it is even stronger than whatever it is you are using.....

I have spent most of my life battling addiction...and I have overcome alcohol and drugs and cigarettes...now working on sugar (fuck...who knew?)....

The problem with most of the behaviors or habits we don't like in others...it helps to make sure your own shit doesn't stink (and it usually does)

I know there may be attitude BUT...I am willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of smokers don't want to smoke...they just haven't figured out how to beat the addiction....

[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]; yeah, and you know, the funny thing is, all you have to do to beat an addiction is JUST STOP DOING IT. It really is that simple. (Note I didn't say it was "easy" -- but it truly is that simple.)

MikeW Wrote:[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION]; yeah, and you know, the funny thing is, all you have to do to beat an addiction is JUST STOP DOING IT. It really is that simple. (Note I didn't say it was "easy" -- but it truly is that simple.)

Bottom line...yes...it is that simple....and it is very wise to always remember that...BUT ......
in my case....when I first quit smoking I was fascinated by the dynamics. The mass hypnosis thing worked for me this one time...

I figured out that whenever I felt ANTHING I would grab a cigarette to mitigate the feeling ...happy...sad...angry...it didn't matter...same reason I did all of the other things I did...escape....

So...I began to face the feelings...and feel them...YIKES. It sucked for a long time....and required a lot of effort and perseverance...not so much anymore. I kinda like finding out what I am afraid of now so I can confront it....

I have a self destructive part of me...it is a tape of my mother and fathers voices...and I have been able to remove maybe 90% of them...HARD WORK...it used to feel like a shroud on my brain...not so much anymore. Just saying no is much easier than it used to be...

..but DAMN...WHY sugar? :biggrin:

Butterfingers Wrote:Smoking... there is more to it than meets the eye. Sure nicotine is addictive, but, it goes beyond that.

Man has a romance with smoke and fire, the control of the fire, looking at it, watching the smoke rise up, it's wired into us, it goes back to the days of our prehistoric ancestors, harnessing, controlling and using fire for protection and warmth, then these ancestors found that meat tasted better when cooked,
unknowingly (from what I have read) when they cooked meat it provided protean that fed the brain, early man began to grow mentally from eating cooked food.

So, what does this have to do with cigarettes? The flame and smoke appeals to our primitive instincts,
a certain comfort and romance is found by smokers when they light up.

At least that's my theory.

So light a candle. Or get a log fire.