Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about doing something crazy
I HATE my birthday and luckily it's already past for this year. But when it did, I got this crazy notion in my head and it's become something of an obsession for me.

I want to backpack across Canada. All by myself. Now that I've got it in my head the idea of sitting around the house almost brings me to tears.

It's something I've wanted to do since High school, but I was always busy doing the right thing and struggling the whole time. I never partied, drank, did drugs, got laid ect. Been alive for 27 years and I haven't lived a day. I don't want to wake up at 50 alone wishing I would've done something when I was younger. That being said it's not like I'd be setting out to get drunk and lose my virginity just for the sake of it. I just want to see my homeland, from Atlantic to Pacific. I want to watch a sunrise over the Atlantic, hike Algonquin, get lost under that big northern sky somewhere.

The truth is that in leading a somewhat sheltered existence I've never learned to believe in myself and have 0% self esteem. This trip to me would give me the biggest chance to grow that I've ever really given myself. I've already talked to my sister(A bit apprehensive but told me to follow my heart) and my best friend(Thinks it would be good for me) but they were the two easiest to talk to.

Sadly however I have 2 main problems. The first being my parents, my mother in particular. I haven't told them I have this idea yet and I'm worried when I do they're going to freak out. I know I'm a grown man and all but they're still my parents and I feel like I owe it to listen to whatever they say. But I don't know what I'm going to do if they're out right opposed to the idea. I feel like I may have some wiggle room with my dad as he was a hippy and did something similar in his youth.

The second and even bigger obstacle is my own fear. The unknowns in this trip are massive and I've never done anything this 'on my own' before. I mean I've been doing research, but I have so many questions that scare the crap out of me. Like what do I do if I can't make it to a hotel/motel before dark? Should l I hitch hike or just take trains and busses? Should I be looking for hostel's along my travel path? Should I camp where ever and when ever I can? What and how much food and drink should I bring?

I really feel like this is something I have to do and my heart is telling me to just go, but my brain is throwing up the red flags and It's making me crazy. I have to make up my mind pretty quick because the way I have it mapped out I need 2 - 2 /12 months to get through everything I want to see and I have to aim for the warm months because let's face it, it is Canada after all and I don't want to freeze to death.

So I need advice on either front, whether it's telling my parents or any advice on back packing(Doing it effieciently and safely), or if you just feel like chiming in to tell me I'm completely insane feel free. At this point I just need some unbiased opinions and I've exhausted the only 2 people I can talk to about it.

I love this idea.

But Canada is HUGE!

Smile

I strongly suggest you get some backpacking/camping experience before you launch a trip of this magnitude. You have no idea how much blistered feet can ruin your whole day.

Not only that, but at age 27, I think you're old enough to do whatever you want. Good for you for considering the feelings of your family, but this is YOUR LIFE--not theirs.

Best wishes on this, but seriously...join a backpacking club first.

Wink

It's a great idea and I think you should do it.
But please, set up a safety call in point, that way you check in and the person you chose, and that person has your last destination.

I am not sure how it works in Canada , but here if you are going into a national park you have to sign in.
Make sure you plan your trip in advance and make sure you are up to date with any medicines you need , as well as having a dental check up before you go.

Have funConfusedmile:

Hiking/Backpacking is not a thing you just throw yourself into all at once.

I strongly suggest you set about a one night camping trip with a 2-5 mile hike with the back to get an idea how you respond to it all. Do this a few times, setting each trip a little longer, in distance and in time.

Learn your limitations, learn how to plot and plan out a day or several day trip with moving camp night to night.

I would discourage hitchhiking. Sure, sure, Canadians are notoriously an overly friendly people... However there is at least one rotten in apple in a bushel. Since you will be alone you will be more open to attacks - and not just by humans.

Most of the provinces most likely have 'hidden trails' - hidden to the world a large, but well known and often hiked by locals. Research and hunt up data b providence, by town/county/city whatever.

If you are still going to allow your mother to make your choices for you at age 27, I strongly suggest you just stay at home. Yes mom most likely will not like the idea, but you can't let her to make this life choice for you.

Fear - its to be expected, there is a good deal of things to fear here - there are REAL RISKS even for a one night one day hike.

Doing it alone - not really recommended over the long wild stretches. Step on a rock the wrong way and sprain or even strain an ankle and you are 'stuck' there for a few days. Buddy systems work best.

Consider joining a or a series of clubs/groups: http://www.canadatrails.ca/hiking/hk_clca.html to get you started. There is a local group that actually meets up at one end of the local chunk of the Pacific Trail and hike it 1-4 days to the other end of the chunk. They do it to get their own exercise, but also do it to meet up with 'strangers' to the area to hike with them through this chunk that they know well enough to know the dangers.

Those strangers are usually the ones who are doing the whole trail from Canada to Mexico (or the other way).

I Think right now you have a romantic idea of hiking across Canada. I think you really need to research it, and plan out a part of it, and get some experience in back-packing and hiking. Also consider the costs - all of the equipment, all of the food and water, all of those hostels/hotels/motels camp sites, etc. are going to cost something.

Thank you all for the advice.

I do have camping experience so that's not an issue and I'm fitter now than I ever have been in the past. As for the risks, I sort of welcome them. I want to fall on my face(Metaphorically) and pick myself back up. I want to make mistakes, deal with them, then move on. I'd be prepared for emergencies the best I possibly can, but right now even if I were to go out and hurt myself walking across country at least I would've seen something and learned something. As opposed to just sitting at home where just as many bad things can happen.

I've been planning places I want to see and will like start plotting a course this week. I'm also going to ask my dad about it this week while he's off. I feel like he'll understand because he went across country by himself when he was in his 20's. If he is ok with the idea he may even offer some advice and tips for saving money and being safe.

I'm really anxious and excited about going even though I'm not sure I've made up my mind. I know I'll probably hate a lot about it. The long days of walking or sitting on a bus. Ferry rides, rainstorms, cold fronts. But I'm hoping that maybe it's enough away from what I'm used to doing that it breaks me out of this shell I've sealed myself into. It could be the worst thing for me, but it could also be the best. My whole life I've been stuck in place and it's got me no where. I have to break the cycle otherwise I'll just end up back in the same patterns no matter what I try.

DO IT....

I was 27 when I got itchy feet and flew to Japan and lived there for a year, definately a defining moment, a defining year in my life.

You have to break out of your comfort zone for a lot of reasons, the most important reason...it teaches you to appreciate what you have got Smile

dfiant Wrote:DO IT....

I was 27 when I got itchy feet and flew to Japan and lived there for a year, definately a defining moment, a defining year in my life.

You have to break out of your comfort zone for a lot of reasons, the most important reason...it teaches you to appreciate what you have got Smile

I'm all for breaking out of our comfort zones.

My dad always said: "suffering builds character".

The only other advice I have for this thread is: BRING DUCT TAPE.

Duct tape is the best prevention for blisters. Put the tape right on your skin, on the spots that are really rubbing against the shoe.

You can buy me a beer later for that one.

Wink

LateBloomer Wrote:I'm all for breaking out of our comfort zones.

My dad always said: "suffering builds character".

The only other advice I have for this thread is: BRING DUCT TAPE.

Duct tape is the best prevention for blisters. Put the tape right on your skin, on the spots that are really rubbing against the shoe.

You can buy me a beer later for that one.

Wink

Heh thanks for the tip Bloomer. :p

That sounds like a great idea! I definitely know what you what mean about the fear and feeling like you haven't done anything with your life. I considered doing something similar round Europe while i was at university but never got round to it (or fear got the better of me), which i've always kinda regretted. With my job now i can't get the time off i'd need to do something like that, so if you've got the opportunity i'd say make the most of it. Good luck! Xyxthumbs