Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of getting a new laptop
So my old laptop is dying and I mean old too I can walk into an elementary school and this thing be older than most of those kids. But anyway I'm look to getting a new one and wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a gaming laptop that's like less than 3000 but still very good and trusted

$3000 is a lot of money and can get you a very high end computer.

I personally have been looking for a new machine and have almost decided to go the laptop/note book route.

I found this: http://besttop10tip.com/top-10-best-gami...s-in-2013/ and have been meditating on it for a while.

That is under $700 you are setting a much high price range which pretty much gets you most any device you can have your heart set on.

Are you brand loyal? I like Gateway - because the box is in the color of "Cow" - No more seriously because every gateway computer I have gotten ran very well and the gateway folk we far, far more customer friendly than Hewlett Packard or Compaq. If so find their website and look at their machines.

I have always wanted an Alienware: http://www.alienware.com/

These are/were considered top of the line gamer computers.

Here are Alienware laptops: http://www.alienware.com/landings/laptops.aspx

I assume that you have games - how many of those you want to play may determine what it is exactly you want in the way of graphics which is the ultimate deciding feature for most games.

I would look at the system requirements lists of your games and see which graphics chip/card is compatible/optimal for the majority of your games.

The thing you may want to seriously consider here is that a top of the line computer only remains top of the line for about 2 years. Every two years (thereabouts) the next generation of processors, graphics cards, sound cards etc comes out. Investing $3000 into a machine that is only going to be 'worth' it for two years may be a bit outrageous.

Thus maybe you will want to lower your price range a bit?

I bought the non-touch screen version of this laptop for my daughter last year and she loved it so much I bought this touch screen version: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Black-...n/34174284
I totally love it!!

I have several PCs all around the state for business and my favorite is a Lenovo tower with i7 processor and 8Gb Ram.

My regular GO TO system at home I use most often is a Dell XPS. LURVE it to pieces!
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

$€Â£3000 is a really high price. I paid around $500 for my Sony VAIO, which I have been happy with, for uni stuff. Before that I had a Dell, which was also good for several years. Personally I avoid HP and Acer (and Asus, cause I mix those up..), because I read terrible things about them and have never seen a good one among my friends. They overheat or are generally buggy and slow. My opinion/experience.

ok how about this. ditch the laptop idea. build your computer. 650. a tower more powerful than the current ps4. you gotta buy a monitor of course which is the additional 300- UNLESS. you already have some sort of monitor. the tower though. thats the baby that matters,

What I just read here is brands and the crap you read on newspapers, magazines and other sources. Why don't you ask a real IT who works with those on daily basis which is not biased by the look, brand or any other bullshit you read and hear in social media. Ask someone with an Comptia A+ Certification , they know more about what i5 Versus i7 means or what would be the difference of an USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0. or the difference or not so difference transfer speed of a HDD using technology SATA II versus SATA III. When such person reads the specs of the machines (not just one) that could interest you, they will be able to give you the RIGHT information that will lead you to make the RIGHT choice. 3k for a laptop is RIDICULOUS nowadays - way too much paid even for a gaming one. If you want a laptop for Games get an Apple Computer... Then you'll be certain to have a powerful computer made for games and graphics... Otherwise be more specific of what you're going to do with your computer. If really you want a gaming machine.. do not use a laptop for that even though now they are getting better and better.

Who am I? A System Engineer I work with computers, laptops and servers on daily basis (I fix them, mount them, and break them too lol)... pick a bunch of computers that you like and we'll go through the specs. By the way... HP, GATEWAY, SONY, LENOVO, DELL they all have good and bad specs that one may complete the other... it's true HP use to overheat... but with the new i5 and i7 and better ventilation this issue has been resolved a long time ago... this is no longer accurate information. Also I might add that I'm writing this on one of my laptop which is an HP/Compaq nw8240 (8 years old), but you guess that I'm not doing high graphic works with it and that computers doesn't move away from its desk... the lifecycle of a computer doesn't just depend of the brands but also the use you make of it.

15" Apple Macbook Pro fully loaded with Retina screen. Its sexy and it knows it :biggrin:
You know it makes sense!

ObW
X

ManicReptile21 Wrote:ok how about this. ditch the laptop idea. build your computer. 650. a tower more powerful than the current ps4. you gotta buy a monitor of course which is the additional 300- UNLESS. you already have some sort of monitor. the tower though. thats the baby that matters,

I have had 4 operations since the Dawn of the Computer Age in my household. Each time I wished dearly as I laid in bed recuperating that I opted for a notebook/laptop.

Then when I was doing business out of my truck I kinda kicked my ass over and over again about having a desktop at home and not an on board computer in the truck to where I could do business work during lunch, or do estimates right on the spot.

Instead of sitting at a desk inside I could be outside sitting next to my koi pond sipping lemonade and posting here. But nooooo. I have to waste such beautiful summer-time days hiding in my house and turning a paler shade of white....:tongue:

I get the whole convenience thing of portability of a laptop. Thus my meditating on moving from Desktop to Laptop. The only reason why I stick with desktops is because I am unreasonably set in my ways - like concrete, thoroughly mixed and firmly set. Xyxthumbs