Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is Dan Savage at his finest, and most vulnerable
OnTheBeach Wrote:Miles -- the site won't let me quote you. (A poor rule that encourages a lot of frivolous comments.)

Going down the road that Christianity doesn't want to offend someone is very risky. The Bible states very clearly that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way. Roman Catholics have accepted the belief that the Pope is equal to the Bible because one Pope used that to increase his power. As for me, I'll stick with what the Bible says.

Ahgh...so you are one of those people who will be populating heaven? eh. You...and Jerry Falwell......and Mike Huckabee...and Sarah Palin....and GW Bush....

I don't know how I manage to resist.....

East,

From my days as a young Presbyterian sudying the Westminster Shorter Catechism:

"God is a Spirit, Infinite, eternal and unchangeable in being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness and truth."

It was written better than 350 years ago, but I think it is still pretty good. I think that it is neat in not including stupidity, vengeance, hate, and intolerance, amongst other things.
I bid NO Trump!

OnTheBeach Wrote:^^^

Why bring politics into this discussion?

There is nothing wrong with believing in a Biblical doctrine and having strong convictions about salvation.

By trying to demean me, you are only demeaning yourself because you lack the ability to carry on a focused conversation and want to pursue your own personal agenda .... I'm not biting.
Do you find them demeaning? I brought them up because they talk just like you do....and you remind me of them. Since you are all saved....I would think you'd be happy to be included with such an esteemed group of like minded folks.

OnTheBeach Wrote:^^^

People like you are one the big reasons chat rooms are gradually going away.

The world doesn't need anymore trolls.

Sorry...no dice. Almost every post you have made on this board has been political in nature so the reference stands....and your contribution in this thread...the authoritarian view on Jesus Christ..speaks volumes. You evangelized and contributed nothing to the conversation...and people like you have brought actual spiritual discussions on the internet to a complete halt for years so your assertion is particularly funny...authoritarians on matters of BELIEF are viewed dimly in mixed crowds

I will concede I was acting snarky....but not without provocation...

I almost forgot...

[MENTION=20050]marshlander[/MENTION] ..Derek...I miss you....especially when it comes to spiritual discussions! I am glad you read this thread though....

Do you know....something you said once I copied and it is the only thing in my SAVED file that is not something that has to do with business...I just love what you said so much I like reading it sometimes.....

THIS is what you once wrote...and what I saved...it made me smile then...it still does....it is worth saving...and repeating....

"You claim to have found solace in your religious beliefs. Your faith does not need to conflict with what I consider to be my rationality, but you are arguably among the most strident evangelists we have seen here and you deliver your arguments like sermons. I don’t think I shall be alone in feeling that this is not the place for your missionary work, but I (mostly) exercise my right to read or ignore. Quoting bible verses to back up your position is not a convincing route to sway the mind of anyone who sees limited value in the text you are using. If you wish to have any hope of engaging the interest of people like me you will have to meet us with some degree of rationality. Otherwise, you are literally preaching to the converted and your sermons come across merely as attempts to display your scriptural knowledge. If you are seeking to engage a wider audience than an existing core of believers you may as well stop trying. Suggesting that we have chosen to deny some kind of spiritual "truth" that has already been planted in our "hearts" is insulting and does you no favours."

Do you remember writing that?

[Image: icon1.gif]
Quote:
Originally Posted by East [Image: viewpost.gif]
I almost forgot...

@marshlander ..Derek...I miss you....especially when it comes to spiritual discussions! I am glad you read this thread though....

Do you know....something you said once I copied and it is the only thing in my SAVED file that is not something that has to do with business...I just love what you said so much I like reading it sometimes.....

THIS is what you once wrote...and what I saved...it made me smile then...it still does....it is worth saving...and repeating....

[I]"You claim to have found solace in your religious beliefs. Your faith does not need to conflict with what I consider to be my rationality, but you are arguably among the most strident evangelists we have seen here and you deliver your arguments like sermons. I don’t think I shall be alone in feeling that this is not the place for your missionary work, but I (mostly) exercise my right to read or ignore. Quoting bible verses to back up your position is not a convincing route to sway the mind of anyone who sees limited value in the text you are using. If you wish to have any hope of engaging the interest of people like me you will have to meet us with some degree of rationality. Otherwise, you are literally preaching to the converted and your sermons come across merely as attempts to display your scriptural knowledge. If you are seeking to engage a wider audience than an existing core of believers you may as well stop trying. Suggesting that we have chosen to deny some kind of spiritual "truth" that has already been planted in our "hearts" is insulting and does you no favours."

Do you remember writing that?[/I]
[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION], I'll have to remind him that he wrote it. Yes, I agree, good stuff, that.

princealbertofb Wrote:[Image: icon1.gif]
Quote:
Originally Posted by East [Image: viewpost.gif]
I almost forgot...

@marshlander ..Derek...I miss you....especially when it comes to spiritual discussions! I am glad you read this thread though....

[I]"You claim to have found solace in your religious beliefs. Your faith does not need to conflict with what I consider to be my rationality, but you are arguably among the most strident evangelists we have seen here and you deliver your arguments like sermons. I don’t think I shall be alone in feeling that this is not the place for your missionary work, but I (mostly) exercise my right to read or ignore. Quoting bible verses to back up your position is not a convincing route to sway the mind of anyone who sees limited value in the text you are using. If you wish to have any hope of engaging the interest of people like me you will have to meet us with some degree of rationality. Otherwise, you are literally preaching to the converted and your sermons come across merely as attempts to display your scriptural knowledge. If you are seeking to engage a wider audience than an existing core of believers you may as well stop trying. Suggesting that we have chosen to deny some kind of spiritual "truth" that has already been planted in our "hearts" is insulting and does you no favours."

Do you remember writing that?[/I]
[MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION], I'll have to remind him that he wrote it. Yes, I agree, good stuff, that.

...and tell him I said HI PA!...and yeah...great response he made there...I forgot what we were even talking about but I think it might have been the child molestor preacher that caused me to leave the board. He was preaching about Jesus alot...

At the time..I remember thinking THIS about Mr Child Molestor Preacher Man.....

.....Jesus may love you..but the rest of us think you are an asshole...LOL It is a quote from a bumper sticker I bought once...I collect the ones that make me laugh...I think of that horrible man now whenever I see this...

One of the reasons I love Marshlander is because he is capable of such deep thought and such well expressed emotions, even if he says it takes him far too long to come up with the right words. He gives it time, and in the end it's always extremely thought provoking. It's a pity you guys don't know his songs. There are a few that so many would relate to, I bet. I've got to get him to record them for future generations. Maybe the subjects of the songs will eventually die out and no longer make sense, but it doesn't look as if those sujects are about to disappear for the near future.

Thanks, my dear friend East and my darling princealbertofb. I must have been a bit irritated to write that comment. Dramaqueen I can't remember the circumstances of that outburst though.

You may have noticed I don't come here very often, but I still think of you.

Meanwhile, back on topic ...

marshlander Wrote:Thanks, my dear friend East and my darling princealbertofb. I must have been a bit irritated to write that comment. Dramaqueen I can't remember the circumstances of that outburst though.

You may have noticed I don't come here very often, but I still think of you.

Meanwhile, back on topic ...

DerekLove2 ...so nice to see you my friend....

I guess I love it when you get a bit irritated...:biggrin: I think it was from when we were arguing with the born again child molester who got mad at his son's wife because up to that point his son "never had a problem with it"...UGH...

Anyway...I will save it forever...I get a smile on my face when I read it...just like I did when I saw your name here this morning...a great big smile....

Come back soon!