Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This will change you in exactly 60 seconds

oooh I'm glad you didn't post that yesterday when you know who was still playing on line.

very moving.

Nope, nothing... I still see the species exactly the same....

Perhaps because I know how this all works - having seen way too many children grow up to be like their parents...

Or worse, I know that humans have little humanity and will never actually change.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Nope, nothing... I still see the species exactly the same....

Perhaps because I know how this all works - having seen way too many children grow up to be like their parents...

Or worse, I know that humans have little humanity and will never actually change.

Will: Yeah, what he said. I see this shit up close and personal every day in my job. I see it in my own life, where my sister was bringing up her kid in a meth lab/trick crib. You need exams and licenses and registration for a lot of jobs - but the most important job in the world, parenting? No requirements, open season. It sucks.

^^
reading what will said reminded of something for memes thread on stupid crap people say.

I grew up with a drug addicted mom, no dad and more men in the house than I can count. How I got my shit straight is a total mystery. I just know the farther I stay away from all that the safer I am from it.

^I will also chime in here and echo Stingray.

While I understand what Bowyn, A&W are saying and it does have some truth to it, there clearly are obvious exceptions. I would be one of those exceptions. Technically, with the life I had growing up, I should be a sociopathic serial killer and if I didn't follow that path, I should have been married already with a couple of kids who I beat and rape on a regular basis.

I didn't follow in my parents footsteps because I was blessed with a therapist who served as a mentor who helped me gain a refreshing perspective to distance myself from the dysfunction of my broken family and I made a conscious effort to combat the influence of that dysfunction by counteracting it with healthy individuals and families as friends who served as a model of what normal, healthy, loving people and families looked like.

ETOTE Wrote:^I will also chime in here and echo Stingray.

While I understand what Bowyn, A&W are saying and it does have some truth to it, there clearly are obvious exceptions. I would be one of those exceptions. Technically, with the life I had growing up, I should be a sociopathic serial killer and if I didn't follow that path, I should have been married already with a couple of kids who I beat and rape on a regular basis.

I didn't follow in my parents footsteps because I was blessed with a therapist who served as a mentor who helped me gain a refreshing perspective to distance myself from the dysfunction of my broken family and I made a conscious effort to combat the influence of that dysfunction by counteracting it with healthy individuals and families as friends who served as a model of what normal, healthy, loving people and families looked like.

I went back home to Alabama after my discharge. I didnt know anyone who wasnt on drugs, running a lab, selling or in jail, I wasnt there but 2 weeks when I came home to 4 police cars with my mom, her boyfreind and my 12 year old half brother arrested. It was all over the TV news too. What they did was moms BF went in a gas station and flirted with the clerk at one end of the counter so she couldnt see mom carry beer from the cooler to the front door and my brother carrying it to the trunk of the car, When they came to the house the cops found over two pounds of pot and a bunch of crack. And I think $1200. The beer was for my birthday party.

Shit like that is why I moved 1500 miles and broke all ties to live with the sanest crazy MFer I knew.

^That's really messed up, I have two good buddies who come from very similar family life situations to that who are also apparently exceptions as they are living their lives now as adults completely opposite to the drugs, alcoholism, gangs, poverty, crime and dysfunction they came from.

Children see, children do, but sometime children learn all this shit from other children at school. That video did not move me just one bit, just like BA I see this kind of shit every day. And, parents aren't perfect beings, we are humans and sometimes we forget that the kid is next to us when a situation goes up the drapes. A good parent will apologize to its children and explain why what he/she did was wrong. There's no guide to be a parent except your own parents. I was adopted, my parent divorced when I was very young, none of my parents were into alcohol, my dad smoked like a chimney, there was no physical violence, but a lot of psychological violence and yet I made it alive and my own children are doing just fine for the society they have been brought in... Don't blame parents, it's not all their doing.

And frankly that video is just an extreme to another, I understand the message, but it is a bit too much.