Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This will change you in exactly 60 seconds
ETOTE Wrote:^I will also chime in here and echo Stingray.

While I understand what Bowyn, A&W are saying and it does have some truth to it, there clearly are obvious exceptions. I would be one of those exceptions. Technically, with the life I had growing up, I should be a sociopathic serial killer and if I didn't follow that path, I should have been married already with a couple of kids who I beat and rape on a regular basis.

I didn't follow in my parents footsteps because I was blessed with a therapist who served as a mentor who helped me gain a refreshing perspective to distance myself from the dysfunction of my broken family and I made a conscious effort to combat the influence of that dysfunction by counteracting it with healthy individuals and families as friends who served as a model of what normal, healthy, loving people and families looked like.

Will: First of all, I respect what you've accomplished.. It's pretty huge. And I didn't mean to say that kids are doomed to follow in their parent's footsteps. Adam is one of the best examples I know of someone who learned how not to live from hi parents and like you, turned it around.

I guess I was just expressing frustration with people who are given such a precious gift, a child --- and don't value it enough to clean up their own stupid messes and do the right thing.

Thanks for sharing your story. I see so much that's negative, I really need to hear positive stories like yours to remind me that good stuff happens and I should never give up on anyone.

Not all kids are like their parents, but most of the time I can tell a lot about a parent or a kid by seeing the other. For example, if I see a kid frequently cussing up a storm then their parents usually do the same (though they may punish the kid for doing the same).

In any case, I'm saving this vid for the next time some parent wants to blame a pop star or video game for how their child behaves.

Sorry, but I constantly see lazy parents and also hypocritical parents that yell at their kids for doing things and then do those SAME THINGS themselves.

I thought that buying children an xbox and an iPhone distracted them sufficiently that parents weren't required to be role models.

I was not in possession of all the pertinent information.

Buzzer Wrote:I thought that buying children an xbox and an iPhone distracted them sufficiently that parents weren't required to be role models.

good point

Should be required viewing for all parents.

I agree, a very powerful and moving video. Kids do see, more than we realize.

Buzzer Wrote:I thought that buying children an xbox and an iPhone distracted them sufficiently that parents weren't required to be role models.

Made me laugh Buzzer. Smile
So sad. So true.

I understand both Ray's and Will's situations. There are always exceptions to the rule, like Ray and Etote, and Will, because of his profession, probably sees way too much collateral damage in terms of the lack of good parenting. I suspect teachers would probably side with Will more often than not, as well due to their profession.

It's a testament to Ray and Etote's character that they were able to rise above people who should have been role models but failed miserably. My philosophy toward parenting is just because you can, doesn't mean you should.