Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Those who are sensible about love are incapable of it".
Discuss.

Define "sensible", please.

In the context of the saying, I cannot be quite sure. It is a saying that I came across, one that I personally am rather skeptical of. I understand the principles of not having love as too calculated in its practice, but the saying seems to suggest that those who separate their heart from their head cannot properly love someone...

By "separate" you mean...think too much about it rather than just act on impulse and according to one's emotions?
I think it may also imply that people that spend too much time on thinking and talking about love and it's many aspects in general cannot actually feel and give love.

It sounds like something Byron might have said before he did something stupid although the quote is attributed to Douglas Yates.

Surely we all experience love in different ways? The lucky ones find someone compatible who can enhance their experience of it.

I don't agree with that statement...I think of "sensible" as avoiding crackheads, heroin addicts and perpetual prison inmates for starters...and loving yourself is the key to just about everything including loving someone else. Hooking up with a crackhead is not sensible and it suggests that you do not love yourself...but of course if you are incapable of loving yourself it might be a sensible thing to do. :biggrin: