Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technology Hits/Misses
I agree with Borg. I've got alot of information in my inbox, that I can dig up and view whenever I need it. Addresses, login codes, email addresses...

I was avoiding touchscreens and smartphones, up until I was given this iPhone 5 for christmas. Now I'm wondering how I could live without it. Having google in my pocket at all times is pretty awesome.

I am still avoiding tablets and semi-combi-whatever-laptops (the ones where you can tear off the screen and use it as a tablet, wtf is that even..). Tablets are, to me, the unnecesary step between phone and laptop.

Rareboy Wrote:I hate the social expectations that come along with technology.

I won't even give anyone my mobile number.

I agree...I am jealous...wish I would have thought of that.

There is a growing segment of the populace that prefers texting over talking. That can be for them. I do not share their preference.

If I could blink my eyes and eliminate any technology on the planet, I'd wipe out cell phones.

I'm generally pro-technology, but the disruption cell phones create to socialization is anathema. Kill it with fire.

I prefer text messages >most of the time< to long drawn out bouts of small talk before someone on the other end gets to the point of their call.
but then there are the people who text like they've got an automatic handgun shooting messages off faster than they can be answered. That's a sure way to pizz me off.
Here's less than 60 seconds of texts like I hate.
INCOMING TEXT: U there?
INCOMING TEXT: I'm @ store trying on shoes.
INCOMING TEXT: Have u talked w ur Mom?
INCOMING TEXT: what u doin?
INCOMING TEXT: She sed ur working on car. Which 1?
INCOMING TEXT: Like these shoes? (with pic)
INCOMING TEXT: U there? Ignoring me?
INCOMING TEXT: Later.

Most the time if I get a call or text while I'm busy I ignore it or turn it off until I have time to deal with it.

In a way, I consider myself lucky to not be able to afford a fancy phone. I can text from mine, though awkwardly with the old system, but I just use the phone for certain people who appreciate that I am lower tech.

I do hope that we will get used to the damned things and stop using them to interrupt. They can be quite wonderful at times.

Of course, another way to look at it is that they keep people with nothing to say occupied and out of the way.
I bid NO Trump!