Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time management tips anyone?
mrk2010 Wrote:Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips regarding time management on being able to manage ones time better? As some of you know I'm a university student but I seem to have trouble managing my time all of the time. In my case I feel I work too hard and do too much rather than too little. I've tried having me time but I just can't settle and feel guilty when I don't do work or have a break. I do feel tired at times and like I have no life so I'm just wondering how can I manage myself better?

Cheers, :-)

p.s. I currently don't have a part time job so I don't have that to think about.

Get a clock with an alarm. Set it for 2-3 hours. When to goes off, get up from the work and go for a walk around the apartment/dormitory where ever you live. Set the alarm to go off in another 2-3 hours.

Gradually add more to your walk, setting your alarm clock 5 minutes further back each time until you reach a comfortable time span of study. Get up and go outside, walk, get coffee, do something - anything out of the room you are studying in.

In about a month you will have a better structure to study in. THEN move on to social activities, drinking, drug use, dancing nude on the beach - whatever the current trend in college and university is.

If the issue is that you are fretting over the quality and quantity of data in your essays, reports, whatever, talk to your professor(s) of each class and tell them you are having difficulty knowing when enough is enough. Use prior papers and work and have the professor point out for you what is 'too much'.

Oh no I don't really drink or ever do drugs, I'll think about the clock thing though, one problem though I wouldn't be able to see the lecturers like that, at my university what you suggested is classed as coaching which is a no no. To be honest we are usually left to our own devices which is probably why I'm such a nervous wreck about work. Very little student support concerning work at my university.

mrk2010 Wrote:Yeah that does sound like me a bit, I always need to be with someone to do things even if it's something like going to a meeting or something and drag one of my friends along. It might just be insecurity.

You might try developing a hobby or some interest outside of work/studies; something you enjoy doing by yourself.

Hobbies are good for mental health. Could help you to look forward to some "me time."

Do you belong to any clubs?

mrk2010 Wrote:Oh no I don't really drink or ever do drugs, I'll think about the clock thing though, one problem though I wouldn't be able to see the lecturers like that, at my university what you suggested is classed as coaching which is a no no. To be honest we are usually left to our own devices which is probably why I'm such a nervous wreck about work. Very little student support concerning work at my university.

Well drugs and alcohol were advance classes 20 years ago. They were electives back then. :p

Coaching... Hm.

I would like to suggest a class, I took it one semester, it helped me in organizing how I studied, how I took notes and how I wrote papers. For the life of me I can't recall the name of the class, but it was on constructive - not creative - writing. It carried something ridiculous like 0.25 credit, I went to the counselors (the one that helps you plan your education goals) and she suggested it.

Let see the class taught critical writing over creative, and also covered how to take effective notes. It was primarily for students who didn't know how to take notes during lecture, there were a lot of people who tried to transcribe word for word everything given in lecture....

I can't recall the name of the class But its been over 20 years for me - anybody know what I am talking about?

I recently joined a kickboxing class but the fact is I don't have the time to do it lol it's like a vicious circle og work. The classes that we have are predetermined to the course apart from 1 option I took Italian beginners but no we aren't taught study skills. I can take notes and stuff its just the assignments, I finished an assignment due January 3 weeks ago I just want them all done. I have noticed this has been a problem as my temper has been short the last couple of days.

I just want a first class degree, nothing else I'll feel like I'll have let myself down of I don't get it, plus I know only 2-3 people out of a class of 40 will get them but I'll feel like my time is a waste if I don't achieve it.