Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Our American Friends
happy
[size=7]fourth
of july
[/size]

Thankyou Princealbertofb
Another holiday to drink to much and set off fireworks to show we support the country, hmmm, last I asked someone 20 or under to say off the top of their heads the preable to the constitution, failed miserably, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Lol, Jim, is that a prerequisite to enjoy the fireworks and barbecue???

Happy fourth of july though can't say I celebrate it being from england Big Grin

Happy Independence Day!

I am spending the day thinking of the loss of a whole new world.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I am spending the day thinking of the loss of a whole new world.

The U.S isn't my favourite country at the moment, but let's hope it's people realise the mistakes of the past and the ones currently being made, then aim to move forward upon this day. Peace.

HankyPanky Wrote:The U.S isn't my favourite country at the moment, but let's hope it's people realise the mistakes of the past and the ones currently being made, then aim to move forward upon this day. Peace.

I don't know why we would take June 25th as any more of an opportunity to think about the past or present more than any other day. And as far as the problems of the past and present are concerned, Americans have an odd cultural heritage of self scrutiny and dissent. And as the famous Gay novelist, James Baldwin once said, "I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually." And American media sources do criticize it perpetually . . . this is probably the greatest reason why other nations are so aware of such past and present conflicts. No nation is free of such history and such mistakes. It is just that some pay more attention to those mistakes than others, taking a very probing look at them. You can see it as far back as the literature of James Fenimore Cooper. Of course, the United States still retains that universal problem no matter what its power may be--the inability to predict the future and to always know what the best course of action is. It is easy to paint pictures of evil empires, far less so to be the the real actors on an international stage.