Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the Atheists w/ a Religious Past : That Nostalgic Feeling
@Karl Rand I suppose you're suggesting I've mistakenly used the "Dunning-Kruger effect?" Well, I probably did.... What do you call someone, a Christian as it relates to this topic, who has formed the opinion that gay people are a detriment to society, are going to burn in hell and so forth when their opinions are derived from their peers. Not because they know any gay people, not because they read the bible verses or have any other insight on the matter. Ignorant, yes, probably some expletives, not sure what psychological condition, aside from plain old ignorance, best describes that...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(06-01-2021, 11:57 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: @Karl Rand I suppose you're suggesting I've mistakenly used the "Dunning-Kruger effect?" Well, I probably did.... What do you call someone, a Christian as it relates to this topic, who has formed the opinion that gay people are a detriment to society, are going to burn in hell and so forth when their opinions are derived from their peers. Not because they know any gay people, not because they read the bible verses or have any other insight on the matter. Ignorant, yes, probably some expletives, not sure what psychological condition, aside from plain old ignorance, best describes that...
No, I wasn’t suggesting you’d mistakenly used the term. Unable to supress my (ex)librarian’s reflex for filling in the gaps I did so.
My view someone who has formed the opinion gay people are a detriment to society ? I think of them in the context of a concept I call group think . That is collectives, tribes, football team supporters, political party members, religious communities etc are capable of acting ( I dont want to flatter them with the term thinking) as if their ‘reality’ is the only one. This applies to all manner of beliefs and ideologies and is our species greatest curse. The internet has exacerbated these behaviors by providing ‘true believers’ with a self reflecting mirror.