Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is St. Patrick's Day a Holiday Celebrating Religious Colonialism?
I know St. Patrick's Day, at least here in the US for most part secular, after all a lot of people wear green and drink beer and celebrate all things Irish. However, the history of St. Patrick, aka Maewyn Succat, is rather dark and perhaps a celebration of religious colonialism.

Quote:You may have heard of the sermon given by St. Patrick that was so powerful that is drove all the “snakes” out of Ireland. The snakes are a metaphor referring to the removal of the Pagans and Druidic priests from Ireland. The myth, however, that St. Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland isn’t even true. The conversion to Christianity took place over a long period of time. This was done gradually and aggressively, stripping away the native Irish’s traditions, religion and the worship of their Gods and Goddesses by means of social pressure which likely went well beyond that.

https://www.spiritualgardening.net/st-pa...lonialism/
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

The green three-leaved shamrock has historically served as a symbol for the Holy Trinity in Christianity. I celebrate the idea that St. Patrick survived enslavement related trauma and yet returned to Ireland with intent to share his belief and Christianity with the people and land where he'd been a victim, became a survivor and then a thriver. Of course it gets far deeper and complex the more you dip into the religion of it all, but for my own recovery I keep it simple and enjoy this concept. 'Tis a far cry from the early days of wearing green to avoid pinches at school.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

(03-17-2021, 06:52 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: I celebrate the idea that St. Patrick survived enslavement related trauma and yet returned to Ireland with intent to share his belief and Christianity with the people and land where he'd been a victim, became a survivor and then a thriver.

Seems the articles I looked at didn't go into much detail about Maewyn, so perhaps there is more to the story about the conversion to Christianity in Ireland?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(03-17-2021, 07:51 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 06:52 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: I celebrate the idea that St. Patrick survived enslavement related trauma and yet returned to Ireland with intent to share his belief and Christianity with the people and land where he'd been a victim, became a survivor and then a thriver.

Seems the articles I looked at didn't go into much detail about Maewyn, so perhaps there is more to the story about the conversion to Christianity in Ireland?

Or, much like many Christians have done for eons, the stories of who and what have been embedded for perpetuity rather than historical accuracy. There's plenty on the net about it and that's why I said it gets deep as you dig into the religion. Again, for my own purposes, I stick with what works for me, just like most everyone else. I think discussing the man and his history is different than celebratory traditions. I saw a meme today of Maewyn quickly regretting his gift as his car leaves full of green snakes and each snake complains of "are we there yet?", "I'm hungry," and other bits of childish travel woes. Big Grin
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

@ChadCoxRox Yeah I saw that one being shared. Nah, so I thought I would do a podcast and not knowing all the history about St. Patrick's Day well I was kind of like...

Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • ChadCoxRox

(03-17-2021, 09:22 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: @ChadCoxRox Yeah I saw that one being shared. Nah, so I thought I would do a podcast and not knowing all the history about St. Patrick's Day well I was kind of like...

https://www.youtube. = JugglaAssassin

LMBO I listened. I grinned and grinned.

I just listened to Anxiety and Depression and now I'm feeling apprehensive. Big Grin Rolleyes

I did come across some more information about the whole St. Patrick's Day stuff that might mean I need to make a few clarifications but I think I was mostly sorta right on things just maybe more context...

Anyway, hope those first episodes don't blow your subwoofer, had way way too much bass. But hope you're not feeling too anxious after listening to me for nearly an hour lol

Oh and I may be able to get a guest to come on for an interview so that will be interesting....
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • ChadCoxRox