Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today I thought my car might explode!
So my AC stopped working in my car the other day, I took it to the shop to fix it on Sunday because with this heat and the amount of driving I have to do lack of AC completely and totally sucks.

500$ later whatever they did to my car doesn't work because the AC worked once, then a couple times after the car was running for about 15 minutes. So I've been basically going without AC until I can get back to the shop.

Today, I turned on the AC on the chance that it would work, and it did! I was overjoyed, then most of the way home, about 20 minutes later my car starts making a funny sound like it did when it broke down all the time. I pulled up to a stop light and noticed smoke coming out of the hood of my car. I wasn't sure if I should stop driving or not but since I was in the left turn lane on a fairly busy street I decided to turn off the AC and hope I make it home. It stopped smoking and I made it home but the last 5 minutes were miserably hot and now I'm terrified to drive it all.

I can't it to the shop until Wednesday and I work tomorrow so I'm not sure what to do other than rage about spending 500$ and ending up with a smoking car.

Sounds like your belt is slipping. The Belt Tensioner Pulley may not be putting enough tension on the serpentine belt. A loose belt can cause a loud noise under the hood,,, and also cause the smoke due to the belt overheating.

If my diagnosis is correct, you will most likely need a new belt and have the Tensioner adjusted. The cost to fix this should be under $200.00

My best wishes.

You didn't say what kind of car so Guessing also, but you may have a separate belt on the a/c compressor which if the system is overcharaged could cause the compreessor to stop which would cause the belt to overheat with smoke and noise, Jim ase master tech
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

The belt is loose, or they could have put the belt on the wrong way.

They could have also done something to the clutch on the AC unit, where it doesnt engage properly.

Whatever is happening, they should correct for FREE. And if this ends up doing damage to your engine, then they are responsible for it.

Be sure and keep ALL receipts and paperwork on this for at least a year.
There should be warranty on their work and parts protected anyway.

Oh my, all of this car talk - how straight!

:tongue:

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Oh my, all of this car talk - how straight!

:tongue:

You get excited over anything nowadays. Even "straight" talk!!
Drool-smiley Drool-smiley Drool-smiley

Yeah - we are a bit desperate for anything.... Rolleyes