Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Told my step-dad last night, that was a big one!
Hey GS,

So I came out a while ago to a few people, but to all people that were on the easier side of the isle.

Originally I didn't really plan on telling my step-dad unless it became a necessity. After talking to my brother I decided that was probably not the best strategy. He pointed out how hurt he would be if I let a long period of time pass and others knew, but I left him out of the loop.

I met my first and current bf about 2 months ago, only a few months after I came out. I'll be going on a small vacation with him in less than 2 weeks so the time to share was upon me.

I was over my parents house last night and I had a beer and cigar with him. Then I just came out and told him. I said that I told my mom not that long ago and wanted him to know.

He was totally fine with it. He said it didn't matter or change anything.

That was a tough one for me, I've wanted to tell him for a while but was waiting for the right moment...when it was there I took it!

I am so happy for you. I told my step mother two years ago and I wasn't that lucky.

Well done!

Glad he was cool with it. Invite him to the club if you go again......

I have nothing to really add other than good job. Smile

Glad everything worked out fine.

Congrats, buddy! Glad to hear it went well!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

reaper Wrote:Originally I didn't really plan on telling my step-dad unless it became a necessity. After talking to my brother I decided that was probably not the best strategy. He pointed out how hurt he would be if I let a long period of time pass and others knew, but I left him out of the loop.

I was over my parents house last night and I had a beer and cigar with him. Then I just came out and told him. I said that I told my mom not that long ago and wanted him to know.

Congratulations and I am glad that he took it well. We remember the horror stories of coming out or being found out that people share because that is what sticks in our mind, but most people who come out do not have great difficulty in their lives.

For those of you who are in the process of coming out, this is something you have to think about if you are deciding to tell some people and not others in your life. When you do that, you are now expecting others to keep a secret along with you, so you need to balance that with how much hurt and harm it would cause if you did go ahead tell some other people. It is one thing to expect a coworker you have confided in to not share your business with other coworkers, but is quite different to expect a parent to keep information from the other parent.

Thanks for sharing this, it's encouraging for those of us who still have one or two "special people" to come out to...