Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Daley comes out as gay
princealbertofb Wrote:Here he is, looking pleased as Punch....
[Image: DaveMAin_1650378a.jpg]

Brave and cute, too!

MisterTinkles Wrote:Do blonds "come out"?
Do green eyed people "come out"?
Do people who breath oxygen "come out"?

The thing is, with those examples, its very clear as day who's blond or green eyed. You can never tell for sure who's gay unless they tell you. We still live in a society where being gay is considered "not normal" even if most people think its okay. People will always just assume you're straight unless you correct them. Saves you from an awkward situation when some of your guy friends take you to a strip club and want you to get a lapdance from a girl. Being gay doesn't have to be a huge deal, but keeping it to yourself doesn't help anything.

stu Wrote:He's bisexual not gay.

exactly.
he didn't come out as gay. he came out as bisexual.

Admittedly, he said that he was in a relationship with a guy and that girls still turned him on.

What will be interesting will be if we ever find out who his partner is. Having lost his father a comparatively short time ago, a man who had been his rock for much of his life, it wouldn't surprise me if his partner turned out to be older than he.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

He's brave in a pretty homophobic tabloid British world. I suspect he felt he had to take control of this, before dreadful tabloids like the usual suspects in this country, simply played their usual trick and called him on a Friday afternoon, to announce they would be running an outing story on him. He did the sensible thing and took control and good for him , there have been some horrible things said about him over the net in places, just as there were over his poor dad. But then there will allows be nasty people out there. Young people need role models and I hope Tom can help others his age, mind you in sport, football over is so homophobic still, but poor Tom can't do anything about that etc. Of course the tabloids over here at times won't be able to resist starting a sentence off mentioning Tom by stating either "bisexual Tom in a relationship with another man" or Gay Tom and his male lover", then of course continuing the actual sentence and report with whatever he is doing.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Do blonds "come out"?
Do green eyed people "come out"?

In an ideal world, yes. But we live in a world where gays do not enjoy equality under the law and are often seen as bad (even vile) people. Many say gays can never live a happy life or accomplish anything of note. There are gays who have attempted suicide because they actually believed they must be so vile that God would make them that way (many Christians believe God will make you gay, or at least has the power to change your orientation which He will do if you're worthy, see Romans 1 for an example of their Biblical justification) and believe they DESERVE to burn eternally and/or think their parents would prefer a dead child to a gay one (and they may even be right). Therefore it's a ray of hope when someone who is gay who is happy and successful comes out to thus says others who are gay can do wonderful things as well, that they're not vile for being gay.

If green eye blondes faces similar social & political persecution so that they wore colored contacts & wigs but one day took them off then that would equally celebrated by suffering green-eye blonds.

There was a time that left handed people were once persecuted, too. Today no one cares. One day no one will care about sexual orientation either and when that day comes then the closet will become meaningless just as it would be for most blondes and left handed people today.

megumidesu Wrote:exactly.
he didn't come out as gay. he came out as bisexual.

Most of us already knew he's gay, yes gay, he just isn't fully ready to come out so he'll play the "bi" thing. He's still a teen though so I'll give him a break. And I'm not saying bisexuals don't exist, but for some boys you just know who's really bi and gay.

And regardless, whether or not he is gay or bi or sexually attracted to Triangles, it is good for him and thats that.

Whether or not Mr.Tinkles had a point or not, which I actually believe he did and not just because we are on good terms do I say this, cause I'm not biased with anyone, but in all honesty, too much inhibitive idolism goes on in regards to coming out.

Oh he comes out, so therefore he must be congratulated and seen as an Idol for gay male sports?

His coming out is for him and him alone, as no two people, gay or straight or purple share the same goals, life or experiences, so while he may influence or highlight something in their life for the better, it doesnt make him any more special than other gays, bisexuals or lesbians and definitely not anymore special in general.

Im not taking away from his accomplishments and all that, but am merely saying, it's not a huge deal, especially to me personally, because he's not my best friend, my lover, hell he doesnt even live here.

Im sorry, I tend not to like it overtly when people feel the need to "come out" especially when it seems like it for a popularity boost in the media for their job or whatever, whether he's truthful or not.

Frank Ocean over did it, however sweet, Zachary Quinto, that Country gurl who sings and came out as Lesbian.

Why cant we just be who we are, without having to "accidentally" fall infront of a news camera, reporter, the press and magazine articles with our coming to terms of who we are?

Its time Parents grow a fucking pair of Balls and Big ass Double D titties and drop them with love on their kids, so that they dont or would not have the need for an idol and find that love and respect for an idol, within themselves.

Coffee

Sylph Wrote:Why cant we just be who we are, without having to "accidentally" fall infront of a news camera, reporter, the press and magazine articles with our coming to terms of who we are?

In an ideal world yes, it would be very nice to bejust what we are but we don't live in an ideal world. Tom Daley explained in his video his reasons for going public, basically becxause he had been misquoted.

Unfortunately the gutter press will continue to persue this type of story if they think that the public has an appetite for it. This is why it is important that more and more public personalities "come out" because the more they do the less of an impact it will have and we can hope that the gutter press and the public will gradually lose interest. Years ago to have a baby out of wedlock was headline news. Now it doesn't even rate a mention.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Im fucking fed up with people on here and elsewhere saying tom shouldnt have needed to announce hes gay.

FIRSTLY, he didnt need to, he CHOOSE to.

SECONDLY, how would anyone know otherwise, as people are generally presumed straight.

THIRDLY - theres been nothing but support.

SO GET OVER IT.

Were never going to blend in 100% in our surroundings. Most gay people have to tell someone eventual. someone like tom who has.been such a star since a young age, it will always be a MOMENT to announce there not STRAIGHT.

You people need to stop getting it twisted!