Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tonight's the night
Like I said try PFLAG, she'll be able to see other parents who are going through or have gone through similar situations. Hopefully there's a group near you.

brybry87 Wrote:Like I said try PFLAG, she'll be able to see other parents who are going through or have gone through similar situations. Hopefully there's a group near you.

I don't see her going to that... Not yet at least... She still views it as a sin. I think she would view this as her sinning. I need something that she can read privately on her own.

Hey, jp.
Here's a book you might want to check out. It's one my mom has read and seemed to like. It contains stories by parents of gay children and their stories.

Beyond Acceptance: Parents of Lesbians & Gays Talk About Their Experiences

If it's something you are interested in I suggest you read it first and make sure you're happy with the presentation and also it'll prepare you for anything you might think will upset her.

Also, you can get in touch with PFLAG yourself and see if they have some free resources or a recommended reading list. Your local chapter may have a library.

congratulations ! Confusedmile:

Just told my mom's mom (Gagaw)...

After convincing her that I wasn't joking... about 5 min... she seemed really shocked and was just asking how I know. Then she said I will always love you, no matter what. That made me feel so amazing!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: We talked for a little while, I told her how mom was having a really hard time and I hope that she can comfort her some. She warned me that I should probably not tell my uncles or grandaddy because they are not understanding. And I'm fine with that.

I asked that if dad kicks me out can I come stay with her, she said "of course, just don't bring a boy home and kiss in front of me" and then died laughing. I love her so much, we've always had a great bond.

I think I should have talked with her first, it would have made me much more confident with my mom.

The biggest thing she said was after I told her it wasn't my choice to be gay, she replied "I don't see how it could be, I mean there is so much hatred in this world why would anyone choose that." So I think she understands I didn't choose to be this way and hopefully can convince my mom of that.

Invasion

It's always good to hear mostly positive coming out stories, I feel like they bring me one step closer to actually telling my parents. But congrads on telling your mom.

As for the religious convictions I really suggest you check out this documentary called "Fish Out of Water", it breaks down all the quoted texts from the bible that people have suggested are anti-homosexual. Getting your mother to view may be difficult but I suggest at least you yourself check it out. I know it is on netflix but if you look around you should be able to find it.

ChiefJay Wrote:It's always good to hear mostly positive coming out stories, I feel like they bring me one step closer to actually telling my parents. But congrads on telling your mom.

As for the religious convictions I really suggest you check out this documentary called "Fish Out of Water", it breaks down all the quoted texts from the bible that people have suggested are anti-homosexual. Getting your mother to view may be difficult but I suggest at least you yourself check it out. I know it is on netflix but if you look around you should be able to find it.

I don't think I've ever cried so much in my entire life while watching "Fish Out of Water" thank you so much for sharing this... I will force my parents to watch this some day. It will take some time to convince them to watch it, but when they watch this it will hopefully change their lives!

I am happy for you that all went pretty well.

jp2012 Wrote:... Guess I can't hide being gay very well ...
not just you, its impossible to hide from people your close to. if they know your gay they can con stop talking about you and move on to the next rumor.

Whelp just got off the phone with dad... wasn't expecting tears from him. Mom had told him already but he wanted to hear me say it. I told him and he said he still loved me but he doesn't condone this. Then we talked for a little bit about some other stuff. Then he stared tearing up and said I had to know that he will never stop praying that this changes. He wanted to make sure that I was thinking about others before doing anything... I told him I don't plan on telling my grandfather (pastor 80 y/o, poor health) and that I'm not going to tell any of his friends unless he is ok with it. I think that made him feel a little better. Then he started in saying you don't have to advertise it, it can be a secret. And I said I'm not going to be shouting it at the top of my lungs, but I'm not going to go out of my way to hide it anymore. And if someone gets the guts to ask me I am telling them.

He finished the conversation, still crying, and said that "we'll talk about other stuff later" ... I might be reading into it wrong, but kinda freaked me out... are they considering cutting my funding... will I not be allowed on the property... and am I still invited on the family trip to Hawaii this summer? :confused:

IDK, I'm just happy they know... now I just have a visit to the lgbt center next week and then tell the gossip girls in my organization and everyone at school will know!