Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Blair v The Pope
"The Pope and the Vatican have an "entrenched attitude" towards homosexuality which is less tolerant than the views of ordinary Catholics, Tony Blair says in comments" published in The Independent on 8th April. The story concerns an interview with Tony Blair for Attitude magazine by Johann Hari.

The Indendent story is reported here You can see the whole text of the interview if you go to the Attitude website but you have to register first.

As you can imagine, Mr Blair has attracted a lot of criticism for daring to suggest the RC Church could do with moderating some of its intolerant, ill-informed, homophobic views. He may have made some appalling errors of judgement whilst in office, but he presided over the government that did more than any other to encourage equality for lgbt people in the UK and I shall always want to acknowledge that. He is exactly the kind of person who will make people take notice, when he makes such a pronouncement. Having now read the whole interview I commend it to you Wink

If Blair thinks that he knows better than the Pontiff on this matter (or any other one of substance) he should have stayed a Protestant.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I don't see how that would have helped. TB seems to feel his comments are more representative of the views of grass roots Catholic congregations than many papal pronouncements.

marshlander Wrote:I don't see how that would have helped. TB seems to feel his comments are more representative of the views of grass roots Catholic congregations than many papal pronouncements.

True but Catholicism is not a democracy.
Fred

Maybe I am opening myself up to the great demonization, but I can't see how a devout catholic can be be homosexual, and vice versa I don't see how a homosexual can be a devout catholic.
My family are not catholic they are baptist, but they hate homosexuals, and I don't identify with their religioous beliefs, how can a homosexual or bisexual identify with catholithism as it teaches their life is wrong?
Not trying to offend anyone, just want to understand.
Richard

ardus Wrote:I don't identify with their religioous beliefs, how can a homosexual or bisexual identify with catholithism as it teaches their life is wrong?

I tend to agree but for different reasons. If you are 'practising-homosexual' and Catholic then you believe that a clear and unambiguous teaching of your church is wrong, that the Pope has not erred slightly, he is completely wrong. Surely that makes your Protestant?

Or have I missed something.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:True but Catholicism is not a democracy.
Until you get to wear scarlet? It is ultimately a club for a small group of old men. The status quo is maintained by the faithful masses who feel they have no power to make a change.

ardus Wrote:Maybe I am opening myself up to the great demonization, but I can't see how a devout catholic can be be homosexual, and vice versa I don't see how a homosexual can be a devout catholic.
My family are not catholic they are baptist, but they hate homosexuals, and I don't identify with their religioous beliefs, how can a homosexual or bisexual identify with catholithism as it teaches their life is wrong?
Not trying to offend anyone, just want to understand.
I have the same problem, except I'm slightly less worried about causing offence Rolleyes On the other hand, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, would I want to join any club that would welcome me?

fredv3b Wrote:True but Catholicism is not a democracy.

marshlander Wrote:Until you get to wear scarlet?

And then only very occasionally.
Fred

SO TRUE marshlander!

The struggle goes on and the messed up lives continue to pile up. The Reverend Scott Rennie, of the Church of Scotland, has come out and has spoken about his struggle to reconcile his sexuality with Bible teachings.