Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tornadoes!
Made it through my first torando yesterday, a town nearby got hit really hard and we had bits and pieces of what appeared to be the remnants of a mobile home raining down on base. Sadly there were a few deaths.

I was lucky, we didnt get hit directly, but the winds got pretty strong. saw a metal bicycle rack with a good 20 bikes on it move about 30 feet, i started getting worried when i couldnt see 5 feet out the window.

So what kind of amazing shows of power have you all seen mother nature throw?

Damn that sounds scary. Im glad you didnt get hurt!!! Smile

Last year we had a really bad storm. After a week of continuous rain, the entire city was flooded and certain parts were submerged up to the second or third stories of houses! The water took far more than a month to drain. Aside from that almost every tree near my house snapped from the wind and it made all the roads unusable. Oh, and while watching the storm from my bedroom window, A piece of metal (probably a part of a garage door) came out of no where and slammed into my window, shattering the glass. Thankfully, my area of the city was largely undamaged compared to the rest. I had a lot of friends who had to relocate for quite some time before the water subsided. Cars looked like they were thrown around cause of the water and quite a lot of pictures of bodies were shown in the newspapers. Everyone helped each other afterwards.. Nothing can bring a city together like a disaster can, i guess.

Hello,
I remember when i was in school we had a massive hot day once and the night coming we had a storm break out at 3am and it stormed continuiously for 17 hours it was fantastic... l love storms.. I have also been sitting in my car watching a thunder storm and it got struck by lightening and i was like oooo i got a little burn mark on the bonnet Big Grin That was my proof... A car is the safest place in a storm and beleive it or not u dont get electrocuted... I love it when snow is around because being british we go into george bush mode and last winter we had alot of snow fall.. I couldnt move my car. When i did i slid everywhere and bounced off kerbs it was fun but expensiove to repair lol

rakmatis Wrote:So what kind of amazing shows of power have you all seen mother nature throw?

Laugh Those effects don't quite hold up with age...

Anyway, glad to hear you're alright. Remybussi Stay safe if more roll through.

Glad you are okay. Lots of scary stuff going on lately and some places like Joplin MO got hit really bad. Still a lot of bad flooding in certain areas too.

As for my closest call, I suppose it was when I lived on a farm with a front gravel lane and back dirt lane. Due to school activities, I'd ended up driving separately and when I got home, a tree had fallen in the front lane. I drove around to the back lane which was pure mud and just gunned it, figuring I'd get as close as I could. I somehow made it through, and found my mom and sis had made it home... five minutes ago, which is about what it took me to get around. Had that tree fallen just a little later or sooner it could have been bad for them or me, and I'm still amazed how that timing must have worked out.

zeon Wrote:A car is the safest place in a storm and beleive it or not u dont get electrocuted...
Just to clarify this, what your car is made of can make a difference.... metal is safe but plastic/fiberglass is not. Here's an interesting page telling more:
http://www.mos.org/sln/toe/cage.html

man thats crazy im glad your alright
i know its scary too:eek:

Glad you are OK....I have seen one tornado when I was going to school in Mississippi...that was enough.

The 1989 San Francisco Earthquake was the scariest thing I have seen.

What we had wasnt too scary, I know that there was some crazy storm hit in Alabama not too long ago, over 100 twisters touched down in under an hour. One of the guys I work with said his hometown was destroyed, but only 5 people died in it. of course that was only 1 of the 100 tornadoes so yea...

Ill be safe as long as im not at work. The barracks are concrete and metal, as long as we stay away from windows we are pretty safe. but at work in the hangars.... not so much, everyone has to crowd into the bathrooms which are the only concrete places.

Zeon, you should come visist me, we get sheet lightning, its like the sky at night has traffic in it, theres just waves of lightning, not bolts, its AMAZING.

holy dear thats how its been feeling down here in hawaii