Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbis discuss gay parenting in Israel
Thanks for reply.

CurtCB Wrote:Louisiana still has anti-sodomy laws on it's books so do other southern states.
In Texas if you are gay you can't be considered for a foster parent.

Lots of places have obsolete laws still on the statue books, I as an Englishman can shoot a Welshman on the city walls of Chester, except on a Sunday. However am I right in believing that excluding marriage/parenting laws (and DADT) that there are very few anti-gay laws that have survived Lawrence v. Texas as enforceable laws?

CurtCB Wrote:I would like to see us follow the lead of women and African Americans.
I guarantee if a million gay people marched on Washington. DOMA and don't ask, Don't tell will be repealed so fast it would make peoples head spin.
Unfortunately too many gay people find the status quo perfectly acceptable.

That many people require a charismatic leader who is also a good ambassador to the rest of America. I have yet to hear of such a person.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Lots of places have obsolete laws still on the statue books

A quick aside, speaking of obsolete laws, did you know it's illegal in Florida for widows to go parachuting on Sundays??

It's not satisfactory by any means but that announcement IS a step forward. Changing the minds of those who have such a firmly established set of beliefs such as the devoutly religious takes time. Religious leaders, Rabbis espeically, cherish learning and it is through serious and prolongned debate that these minds are changed. The tides already begin to turn.

Also, as an observation, women and black people are nowhere near to being equal, in the true sense of the word, not in the UK and most definitely not in America. I need only go out in public with my mother (who, i'd like to point out, is black) to deliver proof of this. She gets a FAR harder time of things than i do as a 'white' gay man. And she would in most places, save perhaps Zimbabwe.

There's a massive difference between changing laws and changing minds.

sox-and-the-city Wrote:A quick aside, speaking of obsolete laws, did you know it's illegal in Florida for widows to go parachuting on Sundays??

It's not satisfactory by any means but that announcement IS a step forward. Changing the minds of those who have such a firmly established set of beliefs such as the devoutly religious takes time. Religious leaders, Rabbis espeically, cherish learning and it is through serious and prolongned debate that these minds are changed. The tides already begin to turn.

Also, as an observation, women and black people are nowhere near to being equal, in the true sense of the word, not in the UK and most definitely not in America. I need only go out in public with my mother (who, i'd like to point out, is black) to deliver proof of this. She gets a FAR harder time of things than i do as a 'white' gay man. And she would in most places, save perhaps Zimbabwe.

There's a massive difference between changing laws and changing minds.

When your mom is not allowed to get married, or can be legally discriminated against, let me know sox.
The rabbi is not offering acceptance to gay people he is telling them to conform to his definition of what homosexuals should be allowed to do.
It's not a step up.
I think he has not right to tell anyone what to do, expect those people who choose to live by his bronze age morality.
Changing laws is the first step in changing minds.
Interracial marriage was illegal at one time in the US, now interracial couples are accepted in society.
The laws change before the attitude did.