Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toyota's new hydrogen fueled car
What is extraordinary is that it is available now.............at a price:

https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html?&s...eral%7c%7c
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Interesting. I must know more.

Cuddly Wrote:Interesting. I must know more.

Even at that price? And where are the refueling stations?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The nice thing is that they give you 3 years of fuel... my guess is that they know fueling up is an issue. Also the reason why I wouldn't buy an electric car. I mean if I were in a city it would make more sense, assuming I would never have to travel cross country. However, seeing the fuel economy I am able to get it pretty much rivals the cost of electricity at current gas prices.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I appears that if you live in California you can have it for under$40,000. That's quite a chunk off the bottom line.

Here's to those with the money and the guts to try it. I really hope it catches on and works well.
I bid NO Trump!

Well $40k is or was about the same as the Chevy Volt. My advice on this car from Toyota would be a lease if you can budget for that.... All I can say is that with all the Toyota vehicles that have been in my family they have been quite reliable...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Can someone explain why a hydrogen car is considered progress?

95% of hydrogen is produced from methane, almost surely fossil fuel methane, and the byproduct of the refining is carbon dioxide.

Maybe the appeal is the reduction in other tailpipe emissions within the cities?

Camfer Wrote:Can someone explain why a hydrogen car is considered progress?

95% of hydrogen is produced from methane, almost surely fossil fuel methane, and the byproduct of the refining is carbon dioxide.

Maybe the appeal is the reduction in other tailpipe emissions within the cities?

I guess it's all smoke and mirrors. Kind of like hybrids not really being green either, smelting of nickel is pretty toxic stuff and while most of the batteries are probably going to be recycled even that isn't the greenest process.

To be honest, unless we all start riding bicycles there probably isn't a good solution, unless of course there's effort into obtaining hydrogen from other means...I mean it's in everything, can get it from water and many other materials.

I do think emissions in the cities is a huge motivator... I haven't been in places like Las Angeles but if the air is so bad that they tell you to stay inside or wear a mask I mean something has got to give. Do the ends justify the means...
Check out my stuff!

LONDONER Wrote:Even at that price? And where are the refueling stations?

I was more into the sciency stuff of it.
Obviously any car that isn't able to be refueled at any normal gas station has its problems, but maybe it is worth the change.