Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trivial Annoyance
Less than 2 hours ago I bought a meal for 5, was owed a little over $17 in change, got back $22 and I gave the extra $5 back which strangely annoyed the cashier. I don't know if he felt I was criticizing him by correcting a mistake or if he imagines I'm some goody two shoes or what but he yanked it out of my hand while glaring and said something rude about me into his mike as he turned away from me to (I presume) a drive-through customer. Maybe he was just stressed & rush (Saturday lunch hour, after all) so was in a bad mood.

But I know a couple of others who lost the job he has because the till came up too short (maybe he's not aware he's liable if he messes it up?). Actually, as far as I know he never put the money back (I presumed he did next he used the register, but maybe not...but then I presume he's going to have some 'splainin to do later), after all multiple fast food employees have been idiotic enough to upload vids of disgusting or scandalous acts on the job which cost them their jobs (and sometimes even got criminal charges filed against them) so keeping $5 probably seems quite reasonable (at least until they learn there's a reason registers and their money are carefully monitored).

I'll be honest with the next person but if he ever gives me back too much again I'm keeping the money. (Not that I'm inclined to go there at all, certainly not when it's just me.) I don't care that he wasn't grateful, but I sure didn't expect rudeness for it as if I'd done him wrong instead of right.

Not worth reporting though, unlike that scammer who worked a liquor store (until I and others reported her). And I'd feel too petty to make an issue out of it with anyone else, so aren't you the lucky ones in getting to learn about it instead. :tongue:

So you helped him out by correcting a mistake on his part which could potentially cost him his job if his manager found out? And he gives you crap for it?

Sounds like a real winner. His mother must be so proud Wink Sorry you had to deal with his crap.

Oh, btw, while I'm reporting on the trivial details of my life, I'd have to say that while I normally consider it good business to hang up a sign congratulating the graduating class, I couldn't help but be bemused (and a tad bit disturbed) that one of the stores that did was the liquor store (same one with the scammer I just mentioned, btw). :eek:

(In the USA the legal drinking age is 21. Even so there's plenty of drinking in celebration of high school graduation sometimes followed by drunken teens at the wheel.)

As someone who works in fast food, it is a possibility that you cost him extra precious seconds on his drive through times (there are difficult time limits we must beat if we're in drive through).

That's NOT your fault though. He should have been far more understanding, after all, it's a mistake he made, not you.

ALSO, he probably couldn't put the money back, because tills can only be opened while there's an order placed in them... it prevents anyone but a manger from opening them at an improper time.

Anyway, I would recommend calling in, or calling head office, to make a complaint if it happens again. That's definitely not how customers should ever be treated.

The only action that counts here is yours; you can lead a horse to water ...... the rest is academic, as they say - his loss.

To be fair, he probably would get fired for taking too long on each customer also.
Yeah, not nice, but I wouldn't complain, because considering how meaningless he is to the company, he probably will get fired.

Yes i agree definitley a goody two-shoes! :-) sorry but That money woulda been in my back pocket. But what a strange reaction - or maybe he liked you and annoyed you couldnt take the hint, or maybe he mistook you for an accomplish, or for some reason he had to have a certain amount in his till and made a mistake, that's what im thinking if the place is known for losing money.

This stuff happened to my sister all the time. Almost every drive thru she went in at any fast food place, she got extra money back in change.

This has only happened to me once. I was at Burger King and they had those two drive thru windows...you know, pay at the first one, pick up the food at the second one. Well, I gave the guy a $10.00 and I got a $10.00 and a $5.00 back in change. I really didnt pay attention until the second window. But they pretty much threw my bag of food at me thru the window and then slammed it shut, so I just went on my merry way, with my free food and extra cash.

I have gotten the wrong order before at Wendys. I ordered a burger and fries, and when I drove off, I opened my bag to see three burgers and fries in it. No, I didnt go back, I was already on the highway.

To Pix --

If you ever want to be honest like that again, dont bother the cashier, call the manager when you get home and tell them what happened and you would like to return the money. Or park your car and go in and talk to the manager and give them the money.

But I can tell you, if its a corrupt manager, they will pocket the money and fire the employee for it...which is what happens at most places anyway. Or, you get pissed off employees who will just pocket the money and be damned with the consequences....as you can get another fast food job anywhere.

Pretty much the employee will get fired anyway. Either for not paying attention to their job, or not caring that a customer was honest enough to return it.

Is normal to assume everyone are arseholes?:confused: