Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump or Hillary as President, who else is petrified?
I'm a little disappointed by the democrats and republicans of NY.... But it makes sense.

I also think the third party / independent voters who didn't know they couldn't vote in these primaries only have themselves to blame.

Emiliano Wrote:I also think the third party / independent voters who didn't know they couldn't vote in these primaries only have themselves to blame.

As far back as I've been observing US elections, it's an unfailingly bipartite matter.

I've been meaning to ask someone what role do independent factions have in these elections.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:As far back as I've been observing US elections, it's an unfailingly bipartite matter.

I've been meaning to ask someone what role do independent factions have in these elections.

I think the idea of third parties as an option is very sloooooowly growing on Americans. But yeah... By far the two parties control the scene. Both want to pick up third party and independent votes though. Asides from fake third parties like the tea party, most are aware that it has to be a grassroots growth though, before we could dream of having a Green president, we need Greens in local offices. So those votes in national elections often go to one of the major parties.

I think some states allow them to vote in the democratic and republican primaries, but New York doesn't. You have to be registered like 6 months in advance I think, for the party whose primaries you want to vote in. The big joke right now is that the Trump kids couldn't vote for their own dad because they didn't register as republicans early enough. If local communities had really tried to educate people more, I think some third party people would have probably registered as democrats to support Sanders. Today a lot of third party people are acting shocked that they got turned away yesterday - it's important to know the rules if you want to participate...

A big problem too is only a little over half of Americans actually vote. And thats divided along economic and education lines. So as is often the case, it's the wealthy and educated among us that are making the decisions.

plus it depends on each state's election laws. for the primaries or caucases, each state will decide if it's a closed or open primary, i.e. anyone registered to vote can pick any ballot (republican or democratic). whereas in New York, it was a closed primary. just like what emil said, if you didn't register to vote six months ago and pick a party, you couldn't vote this past Tuesday. as for the independents, you can generally vote in the general election in November but during primary season, if it's a closed primary, you cant vote because you didn't pick a political party.

in my fruits and nuts state, originally, I registered as an independent but because it's a closed primary, I couldn't pick the democratic ballot on june 7 unless I changed my party affiliation by may 23 or something like that. needless to say, I guess im a registered democrat for now and no longer an independent.

trywait Wrote:in my fruits and nuts state, originally, I registered as an independent but because it's a closed primary, I couldn't pick the democratic ballot on june 7 unless I changed my party affiliation by may 23 or something like that. needless to say, I guess im a registered democrat for now and no longer an independent.

I suppose being registered independent does little service unless there is an actual independent candidate...if such thing ever happens.

Insertnamehere Wrote:I can't imagine him running any country let alone the intricate machinery that is the United States.

with him at the head of it, it will go downhill fast. it will no longer be what it is now.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

^ I have the hope that even in the face of him being elected, he will make far too many enemies too fast and the Congress will block his every move and make his tenure impossible to fulfill.

All of them are pissing in each others pots

Insertnamehere Wrote:^ I have the hope that even in the face of him being elected, he will make far too many enemies too fast and the Congress will block his every move and make his tenure impossible to fulfill.

what do the actual American politicians think about Trump running? does anybody know this? is he taken seriously in the professional government circles?
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:what do the actual American politicians think about Trump running? does anybody know this? is he taken seriously in the professional government circles?

This is an excellent question.

As far as I know (and what I know of American politics is fairly limited), US presidents often "move to the center" after being elected, i.e. they are forced to tone down on some extreme positions (which probably got them elected!) to make compromises in order to exercise power. That depends on how accepting or hostile is the US Congress towards him, if it's Republican or Democrat-controlled, etc. So, depending on the situation I don't think Trump can do whatever he likes while in power.

[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] could give more insight to your question, although I don't think there is a lot of US politicians that take him very seriously.