Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbulence
How do I do it? One letter at a time! :biggrin:

Honesty, I am a 'slow thinker'. Usually I type a little, get up and do something else and maul it over - erm I meant mull Wink right now I am also washing dishes....

Face to face, good luck getting a word out of me. Talking is too fast for me. I don't do chatting either, too fast. I need time to think before I speak/write.

Nick is right. I can tell you why your depression sucker punches you in winter. I'm surprised you haven't figured it out, I go on and on and on about it in many threads :tongue:

Now I am not a doctor, but I suspect that this cycle is due to Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD) I have this peculiarity. I actually have both sides of if - sad in winter - hyper (manic) in summer. My life is an elevator, ups and downs. :biggrin:

Good new, there is a non-drug therapy that one can use. Light therapy. It has been clinically proven to be very effective, so effective that once you get a proper diagnosis it is the first prescribed therapy option in SAD cases.

It works rather well for me - when I use it Rolleyes The whole wasting time in front of a bright light box is inconvenient. There are other ways to get your dose of light. For instance we have three strings of cord lights (Christmas lights inside a clear plastic rubber tube) over the head of the bed one turns on about 30 minutes before I'm supposed to wake up, then 15 minutes later the next string comes on, then 15 more minutes later the next string turns on. Its a poor man's way to simulate a dimmer/timer switch. It gives me a 'false dawn' that takes place at a constant time each day, tricking me into thinking its perpetually spring time.

We keep the thick curtains on the bedroom window year round. Ignoring the real sunrise/sunset and make my own.

I'd say its effectiveness is about 40% perhaps better. Might be better if I had a constant sleeping cycle.

I have figured out other things to do, such as minor changes in my diet through the year. I tended to force myself to eat a 'normal' diet - the same sort of food regardless of the season. In reality I crave lighter foods in summer, lots of salads, lots of 'cool' foods and heavier in winter meats, grains, dense foods. Instead of forcing myself to adhere to the 'traditional diet' I now go with what I crave, it seems to help a lot - I feel better (physically).

In summer I limit my 'outside' time to limit how much bright light I get. We keep the inside of the house dark/dim. In winter we have tube lights inside the house (for the plants - yeah, riiight) and I go outside and potter around even on the gloomy, cold days.

Oh I don't lay out in the sun to get a tan - Tanning bad for me, very bad and not because of such pretty sounding things as carcinoma and melanoma.

Since there is the FtP issue here I am uncertain how you would go about getting diagnosed. I do not know if SAD is on that long list of 'nos'.

You might want to research the subject. Doctor, heal thy self Wink

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:My life is an elevator, ups and downs. :biggrin:

RoflmaoRoflmaoRoflmao
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:It gives me a 'false dawn' that takes place at a constant time each day, tricking me into thinking its perpetually spring time.

We keep the thick curtains on the bedroom window year round. Ignoring the real sunrise/sunset and make my own.
This is interesting. As I am thinking about it, I saw a documentary once, something about a sleeping therapy, or something like that Smile
They used a special light (blue light?) not only for letting it shine on your face, but also for waking people up. Just like you do it. But the light was somehow special so that it would stimulate "sleeping" brain better.

Hi,
I am not sure how emotionally difficult your volunteer job will be. What things you will learn from your clients. If it makes you feel bad or depressed, please don't hesitate to vent here. We will listen. Don't keep the stuff to yourself, it could hurt you from inside.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Now I am not a doctor, but I suspect that this cycle is due to Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD) I have this peculiarity.
Yep, I have researched many of the common types of depression in high school Big Grin , and now we have been learning about non-pharmacological treatment options (CBT and IPT as adjuncts for prophylaxis, and light-therapy for SAD), as well as all the monoamine transmitter enhancing drugs typically prescribed for treatment.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Good news, there is a non-drug therapy that one can use. Light therapy. It has been clinically proven to be very effective, so effective that once you get a proper diagnosis it is the first prescribed therapy option in SAD cases.
I intend to get a light box if I can. I need to be more organised and see a doctor (Haven't seen one for medical reasons in about 10 years). That reminds me, I was supposed to register with a practice in Aberdeen:redface:....

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:For instance we have three strings of cord lights (Christmas lights inside a clear plastic rubber tube) over the head of the bed one turns on about 30 minutes before I'm supposed to wake up, then 15 minutes later the next string comes on, then 15 more minutes later the next string turns on.
Very cost-effective idea, BA. :biggrin: You seem to have included the key points of light therapy - although I think I remember my tutor saying it apparently has to be started 2 hours before waking :/ Can't quite remember. You could try it, and see if it makes an improvement Big Grin

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:In summer I limit my 'outside' time to limit how much bright light I get. We keep the inside of the house dark/dim.
Hmm I don't think I have ever heard of limiting your light exposure as a therapeutic point? Or is that just to control your hypomanic response in summer?

I don't use the term for myself because it doesn't always follow the seasons - and lately, until a couple of days ago, I had been having variable moods. I could go from deliriously happy to down-in-the dumps 3 times per day. This had lasted for nearly two weeks, which I think is typical for me when this does occur. I probably won't see this happening again for a couple of months. These periods don't seem to depend on my light exposure. It could be that I have 2 different kinds of depression, but I'm not entirely sure. It's pretty exhausting, and I was trying to see if I could identify any trigger points so I could avoid this in future.

That is why I named my thread "turbulence". I intended to talk about this in the first place, but at the time all I could focus on was that one point about empathy. So I just went with that.

@Nick: I have just seen that you have posted something else. This volunteer thing isn't supposed to be viewing them as "clients". It's supposed to be mutually beneficial. "I would like to thank all these brave people for befriending Nick9, I can't imagine how awful it must have been. Have a medal :biggrin:" You wouldn't like to think that someone hanging out with you is a chore, would you? Biglaugh I think I would be worried about doing/saying something wrong. I am trying not to think about what can go wrong right now. Think positive :tongue:

Edit: I doubt SAD would compromise FtP. Depends how manageable it is.

faceslikemine Wrote:and lately, until a couple of days ago, I had been having variable moods. I could go from deliriously happy to down-in-the dumps 3 times per day.

Sound familiar... Please don't tell me that's a medical diagnose, I have enough of them already :biggrin:

faceslikemine Wrote:@Nick: I have just seen that you have posted something else. This volunteer thing isn't supposed to be viewing them as "clients". It's supposed to be mutually beneficial. "I would like to thank all these brave people for befriending Nick9, I can't imagine how awful it must have been. Have a medal :biggrin:" You wouldn't like to think that someone hanging out with you is a chore, would you? Biglaugh I think I would be worried about doing/saying something wrong. I am trying not to think about what can go wrong right now. Think positive :tongue:

Smile I thought you will be helping people, maybe on one to one basis, that have some disabilities. Sometimes it comes together with living in ... how would I say it... in emotionally of physically difficult surroundings. I thought that there might be some facts about the people you will try to help, some stories about their childhood etc. that might be hard to understand or that it may be hard to live with those stories in your head.

Nick9 Wrote:Smile I thought you will be helping people, maybe on one to one basis, that have some disabilities. Sometimes it comes together with living in ... how would I say it... in emotionally of physically difficult surroundings. I thought that there might be some facts about the people you will try to help, some stories about their childhood etc. that might be hard to understand or that it may be hard to live with those stories in your head.
Yeah, I know what you are saying, I think that possibly will be the case. I will try to pluck up the courage and talk about any issues I am having with voluntary work Smile.

*slapping your arm* Oh come on! LOL No need to pluck up the courage. We don't bite. Much. [Image: vampire-smiley-19.gif] :biggrin:

I think this can take a back-seat for now. I've had some bad news today. Check out my other thread. :/

Nick9 Wrote:RoflmaoRoflmaoRoflmao

This is interesting. As I am thinking about it, I saw a documentary once, something about a sleeping therapy, or something like that Smile
They used a special light (blue light?) not only for letting it shine on your face, but also for waking people up. Just like you do it. But the light was somehow special so that it would stimulate "sleeping" brain better.

Actually I don't recall if color was important. I do recall its about simulating the light cycle of a 'day' thus causing your brain (and its complex chemistries) to act and behave likes it spring time.

Most of my 'therapy' was handed over to me years ago via a therapist. I did price light boxes and other things immediately clutched my chest - I keep my wallet in the upper coat pocket Wink So I went about creating my own (far cheaper) tools.

faceslikemine Wrote:I think this can take a back-seat for now. I've had some bad news today. Check out my other thread. :/

Read your signature - :biggrin: