Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immigrants of yesteryear
Fascinating photographs. The Albanians wouldn't get in now, not with those arms!

H:\DCIM\106_PANA\P1060420.JPG
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The picture/link isnt working Sad

Emiliano Wrote:The picture/link isnt working Sad

Sorry, don't know why. Try this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkb...is-island/

And it wasn't the Albanians but the Russians.

Those were great pictures, and also some interesting text that accompanied them. That 40% of Americans can trace their ancestors as having entered through Ellis Island is particularly amazing since it was only in operation for about 60 years.

I also appreciate that the text at least hinted at the way that some immigrants were turned away - for (real and perceived) medical and racial reasons.

The medical examination to ensure that the people were fit began even before the people themselves knew it. They were often watched as they climbed stairs and waiting in line for any red flags that might show them to be too unhealthy to enter the US.

They also had to be checked for trachoma, which is an eye infection that can lead to blindness, but the doctors checking for it often helped to spread it because of using their unwashed fingers and reusing tools to do the examination.

It also hinted about how later on there were limitations to what kind of people were allowed to enter, referring to the quotas placed on Eastern and Southern Europeans. But it failed to bring up how more or less during all the years Ellis Island was in operation, basically all people from Asia were deemed impossible to assimilate and banned from entering the US.

Emiliano, that reminds me a little bit of years ago when I tried to enter Australia. Initially I was refused entry on the grounds of my mixed ethnicity. Australia had then an almost blanket ban on anyone from Asia entering the country. I had some prolonged correspondence with a Government department in Canberra and asked a very direct question as to why I was being refused entry (a question they refused to answer) and finally I managed to get a very restricted visa when I insisted that I was born in the UK and held a British passport.

The most infuriating thing was that when I arrived in Sydney, and showed my entry papers the immigration officer said: "Why do you have that, you don't need it, you're British!"

LONDONER Wrote:Emiliano, that reminds me a little bit of years ago when I tried to enter Australia. Initially I was refused entry on the grounds of my mixed ethnicity. Australia had then an almost blanket ban on anyone from Asia entering the country. I had some prolonged correspondence with a Government department in Canberra and asked a very direct question as to why I was being refused entry (a question they refused to answer) and finally I managed to get a very restricted visa when I insisted that I was born in the UK and held a British passport.

The most infuriating thing was that when I arrived in Sydney, and showed my entry papers the immigration officer said: "Why do you have that, you don't need it, you're British!"

Wow... That's frustrating to read, I can't imagine what it felt like for you. It would have ruined my time in Australia for sure..

Fortunately I was only there for two weeks so I just forgot about it and enjoyed myself. Nowdays as far as I know, everyone has to apply for a visa to enter the country so when I went theree again four years ago, I had to go through the whole procedure again but this time without so many problems.

While I was there I couldn't help but notice the hundreds if not thousands of Asians who are there now. Australia must have relaxed its policy over the years no doubt realising that its largest trading partner is much nearer than the UK or the USA.