Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twins Come Out To Dad - Video
I don't know, if you know this video. Twins tell to their father that they are gay, and record their emotional call.

I always have mixed feelings about these things. On one hand, I think it is good that young gay people are sharing their personal stories online. This was very touching. But, being of an older generation I guess, there's a part of me that feels there are some things that deserve to remain private. To me its as if recording something like this and making it public in a way -- not quite sure what word to use -- in any case, makes it less intimate, less personal, less *just us* (the people involved). I'm not trying to make a strong value judgement here, as I say, I also see the social value of this kind of thing. It just to me its a double edged sword kind of thing.

^ I struggle with it too...although I guess that if it goes well and the person being told agrees....it can be a real example to others.

And if it doesn't go well and everything goes to shit......you post it for revenge, I guess.

But it does seem that there are no private emotional moments anymore. I wouldn't want my own kids recording my reactions for public consumption.

I can certainly see what you mean, Mike. We are about the same age and I know that doing this when I was those guys' age would just never have happened. In some way, it may help them to make the step by being public about it. I thought their dad handled it very well and I'm glad that he admitted that he didn't know what to say. Those guys can look forward to their dad trying hard to understand and to support them. It is indeed a different time. Perhaps not so much as the young guys, this will help some parents. It is a wonderful thing that we are moving past the automatic rejection that used to be assumed with such announcements. If this video prevents that or helps some parents through it, it is a very good thing.
I bid NO Trump!

That was a very emotional conversation to say the least ! I started crying and I do not know if I will be able to come out to my dad and seeing how hard that was for them having a close relationship with there dad . I am not that close not that I have a bad one with him either . It makes me think long and hard now what will I say if I ever get the nerve up to do it .

Rareboy Wrote:^ I struggle with it too...although I guess that if it goes well and the person being told agrees....it can be a real example to others.

And if it doesn't go well and everything goes to shit......you post it for revenge, I guess.

But it does seem that there are no private emotional moments anymore. I wouldn't want my own kids recording my reactions for public consumption.

Yeah I'm torn. I love the idea of rather then telling a story after its happened, live it along with the viewer. Then again it's such a personal thing.. where is the line drawn?

LOL...I am worse than you guys because I can't even hit "play" on the video. I feel like I am invading someone's space. It isn't as if everyone agreed to be taped...that is not cool for me

Lol, when my (military) father discovered that I was gay it wasn't a coming out, it was a breaking through the wall for me. He wasn't happy at all and we fought, my mother had to call the neighbours to separate us... This scene could have been a buzz on youtube!

But now this unpleasant moment is totally forgotten and he even likes a lot my boyfriend...

I don't understand why these boys needed to record and share a such intimate thing with the whole world... In my case, sharing with the neighbourhood was enough!

Whatever, they are cute...

They were adorable. I subscribed. I cried a little with them.

... and their coming out went so much better than mine did.

I actually watched the video awhile ago, and while i have mixed feelings about something like this being put out in the public, there's something else i noticed that probably won't surprise anyone given the nature of the video, but to anybody that read them, don't most of the comments seem particularly nasty and hateful? why was everyone obsessed with the father having grandkids? did they not considered that maybe he didn't care either way, that too me seemed a particularly weird thing to bash them for.