Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twins Come Out To Dad - Video
BrianNorth Wrote:The video is viral at this point. Viral videos just turn into toxic waste dumps.

They do, but I meant more generally. I haven't even seen the video and don't actually intend to. I just saw The Normal Heart and have been "moved" enough for 2015.

BrianNorth Wrote:The video is viral at this point. Viral videos just turn into toxic waste dumps.

Quoted for truth.

I never read user comments on Youtube.

I'd like to throw my hat in the uncomfortable camp.

It's great that these guys came out to their father, but not everything needs to be seen by everyone. These kind of videos also arouse the cynic in me. What exactly is the motivation behind filming it? To get hits on your youtube channel? That would be gross. And is the dad aware that he's being broadcast to 7 million + people? Is he okay with that?

Who needs to worry about the government spying on us and disregarding our privacy when we seem to do that pretty well to each other?

P.S.

I should add, that I totally did watch the video. I'm a hypocrite, I know. The crying made me doubly uncomfortable and the father's obviously weary disappointment was sad. "Will you two just stop." That part killed me inside.

That being said, I do feel guilty myself for watching it; like I walked in on something inappropriate and instead of saying "sorry" and immediately shutting the door, I just kind of hovered and leered for a while....

I'm gonna take a shower now.

Wade Wrote:I'd like to throw my hat in the uncomfortable camp.

It's great that these guys came out to their father, but not everything needs to be seen by everyone. These kind of videos also arouse the cynic in me. What exactly is the motivation behind filming it? To get hits on your youtube channel? That would be gross. And is the dad aware that he's being broadcast to 7 million + people? Is he okay with that?

Who needs to worry about the government spying on us and disregarding our privacy when we seem to do that pretty well to each other?

I agree, but some might fight it helpful. I came out years ago, so I have no need for any of the tips. But if youtube had been a thing when I was a sad little insecure boy, I would've searched the hell out of these things. I would probably have flamed them in the comments at first, insecure as I was. Truth be told, gays didn't exist in my universe until I realised I was one. I mean, I knew what it was. I knew some guys like guys and what not and I didn't judge, ofcourse, but I had never met a gay guy or girl, to my knowledge anyway.

Cuddly Wrote:I agree, but some might fight it helpful. I came out years ago, so I have no need for any of the tips. But if youtube had been a thing when I was a sad little insecure boy, I would've searched the hell out of these things. I would probably have flamed them in the comments at first, insecure as I was. Truth be told, gays didn't exist in my universe until I realised I was one. I mean, I knew what it was. I knew some guys like guys and what not and I didn't judge, ofcourse, but I had never met a gay guy or girl, to my knowledge anyway.

I totally understand that this would be helpful for someone struggling to come out. Lord knows I've watched my fair share of videos of people on youtube telling their "coming out" stories. And those are fantastic and inspirational.

Some of the videos I've seen feature a kind of Q and A with a parent discussing their feelings about their child being gay. And they actually know that they're being filmed and know it's going on youtube. There's a right way and wrong way to do things, and I just don't think these twin fellas went about this in an ethical way.

However, I'm supposing that the father is not aware that his private discussion was going to be uploaded to the internet. If I'm wrong, then I have no problem with the vid... other than the slight uncomfortableness I felt watching it, but that's my problem, no one else's.

I liked this video. I don't think I would do it like them...too personal. But liked it. And the reaction of the father is logical to me. Sad that not all parents can react that way.