Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two abstract paintings
Insertnamehere Wrote:If you want me to be even more honest, there is something about the color choice, the structure that is a bit repulsive to me. Not nauseating or anything, but something I want to take my eyes away from.

Thats how I feel about most surrealism. Uhg

I kind of like them, but not like I want to buy them and frame them...

I see abstract being an escape and raw expression... It is why I hate "learning" or studying art. Art is about expression. Yeah there are techniques to learn but to study art in a way to say this is what makes a good painting, to me is bs. Hopefully that made some sense...

I used to be more artistic but I haven't been able to successfully draw anything in years. Usually get pissed when things don't turn out the way I want and too damn impatient to wait for pain to try and so on... I struggle to get what is in my head on to the canvas...or paper...whatever I'm drawing on.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

LONDONER Wrote:Some will hate them, some will not understand them at all but these two paintings were done by a friend of mine at present studying art and art history at Univesity. In my opinion they are carefully studied and not just random splashes as some might possibly think and his colour palette is is considered.

[Image: 98511-manuel_01.jpg]

[Image: t1-98225-manuel_02.jpg]

They look similar to the style I paint in. I really like them though.

I'll have a proper look later today as I'm to tired to analysed them right now.

Emiliano Wrote:You would have thought right. Those are really beautiful. I love the colors and the composition. They are both really balanced, but not stagnant, and theres a lot of life and something playful about them. They really are nice pieces, thanks for sharing them.

I know a lot of people arent into abstract art, but I really like it. I like how they are so open for interpretation, I think that makes it more accessible than representational art. We can pull so much complex meaning and moods from simple colors and shapes.

Thanks [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION], my guess was correct. Pity my friend doesn't speak English. I'll have to translate your comment for him.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Insertnamehere Wrote:If you want my honest opinion, to me it's just a bunch of colors splattered on a canvas, sparsely following some kind of structure.

I'm not inside the artists head, so I don't know if they represent an emotion, a place in his memory.

I don't get from it any message. That careful study Londoner talks about, I don't see it.

That probably speaks more of me than it does of him in any case.

If you want me to be even more honest, there is something about the color choice, the structure that is a bit repulsive to me. Not nauseating or anything, but something I want to take my eyes away from.

Thanks [MENTION=23097]Insertnamehere[/MENTION]. We have to accept that people have different tatstes and that abstractionism is not to everyone's taste. I'm of the opinion that in many cases realism has no point since the age of photography with the exception perhaps of portraiture that can add another dimension that a camera can't caprure in spite of Photoshop. I can see that that statement might open a whole can of worms!

MikeW Wrote:[MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION]... for some reason I can't see the paintings. Cry

OH WAIT... never mind... now they're showing up. IDK why the weren't at first.

For what it's worth, I like them both. The compositions feel solid and the bold saturated hues seem to work well together within the compositions.

Thanks [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION], as a mature man your comment is appreciated.. It just shows that abstract art has no age barriers.

artyboy Wrote:They look similar to the style I paint in. I really like them though.

I'll have a proper look later today as I'm to tired to analysed them right now.

Thanks [MENTION=18789]artyboy[/MENTION], I'll look forward to your analysis.

Thanks for sharing man I quite like these paintings. I really enjoy looking at abstract art.

I find something pleasurable in picking out patterns to search for a meaning or an image that doesn't really exist.

Almost like a mental mendala, applying order and structure to chaos then simply letting your understanding of the image slip away so that you can form a new one and see the same thing in a whole new way.

LONDONER Wrote:Thanks [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION], as a mature man your comment is appreciated.. It just shows that abstract art has no age barriers.

This is a video of me working on a painting in my studio , June 2006. I was 40lbs heavier then than I am now.

Thanks [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] for posting that, very interesting and very beautiful. What other hidden talens do you have?!