Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two abstract paintings
Some will hate them, some will not understand them at all but these two paintings were done by a friend of mine at present studying art and art history at Univesity. In my opinion they are carefully studied and not just random splashes as some might possibly think and his colour palette is is considered.

[Image: 98511-manuel_01.jpg]

[Image: t1-98225-manuel_02.jpg]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The first one looks like a map to me, the second one like rooftops lol

Shawn Wrote:The first one looks like a map to me, the second one like rooftops lol

Thanks for your comment. At least they set your imagination to work. You can read anything in to abstraction.

Yes, thanks [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION] for posting this kind of stuff anyways, it's good to see some distractions for the heavy topics like politics, insecurities and all the rest.

And also yes I like to imagine or guessing a few abstracts, but I know that I will not resist to ask the artist what he had on mind at last haha

Shawn Wrote:Yes, thanks [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION] for posting this kind of stuff anyways, it's good to see some distractions for the heavy topics like politics, insecurities and all the rest.

And also yes I like to imagine or guessing a few abstracts, but I know that I will not resist to ask the artist what he had on mind at last haha

Sorry [MENTION=23908]Shawn[/MENTION], in spite of the fact that he's a friend of mine, I don't know what his thoughts were, I know that they were an exercise set by his teacher. I'll ask him next time I see him.

I would have thought that [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] would have been interested in this thread.

[MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION]... for some reason I can't see the paintings. Cry

OH WAIT... never mind... now they're showing up. IDK why the weren't at first.

For what it's worth, I like them both. The compositions feel solid and the bold saturated hues seem to work well together within the compositions.

LONDONER Wrote:I would have thought that [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] would have been interested in this thread.

You would have thought right. Those are really beautiful. I love the colors and the composition. They are both really balanced, but not stagnant, and theres a lot of life and something playful about them. They really are nice pieces, thanks for sharing them.

I know a lot of people arent into abstract art, but I really like it. I like how they are so open for interpretation, I think that makes it more accessible than representational art. We can pull so much complex meaning and moods from simple colors and shapes.

I definitely don't like them. Not my thing when it comes to art.

That's just me.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:I definitely don't like them. Not my thing when it comes to art.

That's just me.

What about them do you not like?

If you want my honest opinion, to me it's just a bunch of colors splattered on a canvas, sparsely following some kind of structure.

I'm not inside the artists head, so I don't know if they represent an emotion, a place in his memory.

I don't get from it any message. That careful study Londoner talks about, I don't see it.

That probably speaks more of me than it does of him in any case.

If you want me to be even more honest, there is something about the color choice, the structure that is a bit repulsive to me. Not nauseating or anything, but something I want to take my eyes away from.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]