Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. Currency
So, I had a random thought recently. America is a diverse country and the fact that we have no diversity on our currency (who is pictured on the currency) doesn't seem to reflect the culture and history of the U.S.

It seems like it would be a good idea to put someone like M.L.K. on one of the bills. If I had a choice, I would replace Andrew Jackson with Martin Luther King on the 20. The reason I chose Jackson was because, while he was a hero of the War of 1812 and President, Jackson was also largely responsible for the Trail of Tears. While most of the people on the currency are former presidents, Franklin and Hamilton set a precedent for those who have contributed outside the presidency like Martin Luther King.

So, my question would be, if you had the option, who would you put on the currency and why? Who would you remove from the currency and why?

Ha, I guess that was not such an original idea. There has been a campaign to do the exact thing I described above since the Bush administration.

IMO, Inchante you have a cool idea. However people in power may not share your view on this. It would be a hard sell to replace any president (or former) statesmen on any bill no matter how deserving the new nominee would be. Many people don't like change, others feel the costs outweigh the benefits.... many believe we are heading into a currency-less monetary system or at least paperless. But seriously I can't think of any modern day president or statemen (besides MLK) that I would like to see on a US bill. Then again this is MHO.

Well what about Steven Spielberg for making so many good films over the years..!

Invasion

Almac Wrote:Well what about Steven Spielberg for making so many good films over the years..!

Invasion

The Civil Rights Movement . . . E.T. . . . The Vietnam War . . . Schindler's List . . . The March on Selma . . . Jurassic Park. I don't know, hard call. LOL. Spielberg could represent the Jewish population of the U.S. What about Chief Joseph or Chief Seattle, though?

I remember a while back hearing about a movement to get Satan (Reagan) on one of the bills...I would have to dedicate the remainder of my spare time to blocking that action.

I would nominate Walt Disney for inspiring imagination and innovation. Who to replace? I would have to think about that a bit more.

Change is bad.

We got our assigned presidents to specific bills (currency notes) and they continue to stay with the same people on each bill for familiarity. while the bills have undergone a lot of changes over the course of the past 100 years, we have pretty much stuck with the president's as we find on them.

Except Franklin on the 100 $ note... He wasn't a president.

Emperor Norton, because he's awesome, IMO, and inspirational (in a "reality is what you can get away with" way). Offhand, I'd like to put him in the hundred, but I actually like Ben Franklin (not to say I subscribe to all his views, but he seemed like someone I'd actually like to know, not something I'd say about many others found on money), so I'll go with the $20 as I agree with your view on why Jackson should be discarded.

'Course I'm totally ok with MLK Jr, too.

Pix Wrote:Emperor Norton, because he's awesome, IMO, and inspirational (in a "reality is what you can get away with" way). Offhand, I'd like to put him in the hundred, but I actually like Ben Franklin (not to say I subscribe to all his views, but he seemed like someone I'd actually like to know, not something I'd say about many others found on money), so I'll go with the $20 as I agree with your view on why Jackson should be discarded.

'Course I'm totally ok with MLK Jr, too.

LOL, I like that. I had never heard of Emperor Norton.

I actually kind of like the design of the Canadian bills, usually it's a PM or the queen on one side, and then cultural symbols on the other side.

[Image: canada.jpg]

Here you got Sir Wilfred Laurier, a Prime Minister, on one side and children playing hockey on the other (and other winter sports).

[Image: P-102a_Canada_2001_Ten_Dollars.jpg]

Then you got Sir John A. and the war memorial in Ottawa on the back.

[Image: Canadian20.jpg]

This is the Queen on one side and Native art on the other.