Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Elections
Very rare for me to write about politics but I am reasonably happy about the result; the Conservatives will govern again with a small majority.

I am normally left wing but when Labour chose their Leader, they chose the wrong Milliband. They should have chosen David rather than Ed. Ed has been useless and has as much charisma as a wet cod. I can't see him doing anything else but resign.

I am laughing that Nigel Farage, the Leader of UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party) has lost his seat. I think that UKIP won just one seat as did the Green party.

The Liberal Democrats are now a spent force and all due to the leadership of Nick Clegg. He should never have made a coalition with the Conservatives and should never have reversed his opinion on not increasing University fees. How could one trust such a turncoat?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I don't usually post much in political threads either, but what has really stunned me is what happened up here in Scotland. There's no frame of reference to compare this with really. This swing to the SNP is truly unprecedented. Even here in Glasgow; 7 safe Labour seats with large majorities, a bastion fortress of the Labour Party for decades - all 7 Labour MP's toppled by the SNP in huge swings; a scenario reflected across Scotland. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone today :biggrin:

I did think that the Conservatives would get back in though.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

Conservatives are normally people who want to keep things just as they are... but I think some changes will be implemented. Will the rest of the UK like those changes?

Not that I have the vaguest understanding of the implications, but I am sincerely jealous that you can get it over with so much more quickly that we do in the US.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Not that I have the vaguest understanding of the implications, but I am sincerely jealous that you can get it over with so much more quickly that we do in the US.

Yes, yours seem to go on forever don't they.

I was surprised to see a Tory majority, I fully expected another coalition.

The next 5 years will be interesting for sure.

I had my political awakening just as Blair came to power, it hugely disappointed me watching them ramp up the surveillance state, invade two countries on the coat tails of America's revenge trip, try to implement ID cards, entering into PFI contracts for schools and hospitals etc etc.

Despite being a Tory voter I am concerned that the Tories may now swing hard right, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now, especially given that Cameron pushed through gay marriage at the expense of a loss of support from the more right wing elements in his own party.

There is alot of talk about binning the human rights act, which assuming a UK Bill of Rights can replace it whilst allowing the deportation of people like Abu Hamza and his ilk I have no problem with.

It is worth mentioning that UK Conservatives traditionally are not as right wing as US Republicans, so drawing comparisons between Tories/Republicans and Labour/Democrats isn't really accurate. So this idea that Tories represent tradition and Labour represents progress doesn't fly in my view.

I do have to say though, my heart did a little jump for joy seeing Milliband and Farage resign, and seeing Ed Balls lose his seat.

Add Nick Clegg to that list WhatsInAName. I was pleased to see him resign also.

Looks like Farage didn't quit afterall. Boo.

WhatsInAName Wrote:Looks like Farage didn't quit afterall. Boo.

Yes, that's what I thought also initially but maybe it will be a good thing. He didn't lose his seat for no reason. Maybe he lost because his politics were too radical, after all, why would we alienate our biggest trading partner by withdrawing from the EU? If he continues in the same vein then he could continue to put more and more people off as they see his plans are unworkable.

I see also that David Milliband has criticised his brother for having moved too far to the left. The next five years are going to be interesting.

I think that even if Ed had been a Blue in Red clothing like Tony B.Liar he'd not have won.

He has all the gravitas of a slug.