Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Votes YES to GM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22605011

After much debating around the usual tired old arguments, the UK Parliament has voted YES to Gay Marriage.

There is just one step left before it is signed into law. The House of Lords has to approve.

Im not for or against GM, but Im glad that the UK is on the brink of at least giving couples the option Dance2

ObW
X

"Gay marriage, or as I like to call it, marriage.".

Great news Smile. Hope it keeps going well for the UK.

I thought this thread would be about GMO. (Genetically Modified Organisms) Go figure.

OlderButWiser Wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22605011

After much debating around the usual tired old arguments, the UK Parliament has voted YES to Gay Marriage.

There is just one step left before it is signed into law. The House of Lords has to approve.

Im not for or against GM, but Im glad that the UK is on the brink of at least giving couples the option Dance2

ObW
X
Congrats! Smile

Hope once you voted, opponents calm down and accept...meanwhile in France... :/

Was it difficult to get the law accepted? Is UK an homophobic country? Will you get married? Big Grin

Well it's good news Elefant

OlderButWiser Wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22605011 ... There is just one step left before it is signed into law. The House of Lords has to approve. ...

what is the probability it gets singed into law?

I hope it becomes law here in the UK. Smile
An eye for an eye

pellaz Wrote:what is the probability it gets singed into law?

I think its about 80/20 in favour at the moment.

The current government is a coalition made up of two parties, so there will definitely be some horse trading to be done, but I think it will go through Smile

ObW
X

Ekwarph Wrote:Congrats! Smile

Hope once you voted, opponents calm down and accept...meanwhile in France... :/

Was it difficult to get the law accepted? Is UK an homophobic country? Will you get married? Big Grin

Well it's good news Elefant

Well it was definitely not as difficult as it was in France.! We didn't have the large scale riots and demos that you had in Paris the other month!

There is not a lot of visible homophobia in the UK, at least not on the surface. There is unfortunately occasional cases of assault against gay people, but thankfully its quite rare.

Homophobia in the workplace is almost non existent in the UK as we have had laws in place preventing such activities for quite a few years now.

Im not sure if we will get married, maybe Civil Partnered. At least the topic being all over the TV gives me the opportunity to raise it again ;-)

ObW
X

SS marriage is an affirmation of a lot of things.

one would hope couples getting married would have thought it through.

The Lords do not necessarily have to approve for it to pass into law, if I remember correctly.
They can suggest amendments and send it back to the Commons so many times (two times at most?), but that's all they can do to slow it down.