Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK comedy VS US comedy
I find British comedies clever,witty and fast-paced and I generally hate most American sitcoms.The Office,Little Britain :biggrin:,My Family,Extras,FAWLTY TOWERS are just a few of the masterpieces.I had my opinion challenged recently though.Apparently UK comedies are built on insults,sarcasm whilst US humour is sleek and sophisticated.What do you think?Which of the two do you prefer?One standout US comedy though is Arrested Development.

I used to like british comedy a lot more. Fawlty towers and Blackadder were great. But short ( fawlty is just 2 series) its hard to keep that level up for ages. Modern british comedy tends to repeat the same gags over and over and is often based on cruelty egs little britain and the god awful catherine tate. I also think its casually homophobic contributing to the epedemic of bullying in schools.
US comedies are , at their finest, consistently funny. The best being Frasier, Will and Grace and as you say Arrested Development. Also their series go on and on being funny. Frasier i think ran 265 episodes vs 12 for fawlty towers.
So i would saythese days its american, easy and the best ever....FrasierConfusedmile:

Well, I like all sorts of comedy. I remember watching Are You Being Served? when I was growing up and it was hilarious (even more now because I get all the dirty jokes I didn't as a kid). Also Keeping up Appearances is really funny.

When it comes to American comedy, I like all sorts of stuff, from Frasier, Roseanne, South Park, Will and Grace. I hate the generic sitcom shows though because there is no variety. You have to sift through American shows to find some good ones.

And since I'm Canadian, I'll add my two cents about Canadian comedy. The old This Hour Has 22 Minutes is just classic with Mary Walsh and Rick Mercer. Now Rick Mercer has The Mercer Report, which is so funny. Corner Gas is well written and it has such subtle humour to it. So don't ignore us Canadians, we are funny in our own special way (yeah, funny in the head Tongue )

I don't think it matters.
American comedy can be as good as Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park or Frasier,
and then they can be as bad as War At Home, or their version of Fawlty Towers.

British Comedy can be as good as Extras, Spaced, or Modern Toss,
or as bad as Titty Titty Bang Bang, or My Family.

Oh and I do have a soft spot for the first few series of Are You Being Served?, and Keeping up appearances is fantastic (if only for the acting - Patricia Routeledge is fantastic in everything).

I kinda agree with Wilem's point... although not his choice in picking his fave and worst Brit comedies! lol... I like My Family!

I've seen comedies that are equally good and bad from the UK and the USA.

If I can remember to watch it.. really like Gavin and Stacey at the moment!!

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:I like My Family!

Haha me too, Nick is a ledge! I think it's coz it's so sarcastic and at times you can totally relate to it! Laugh

Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps is another funny one.

Yeah "My Family" is really funny but I can't stand Two Pints Of Lager!I forgot about Keeping Up Appearances,it's hilarious,that Mrs Bucket joke never gets old!

My Family?
OH come on!

Bloody ell. The show was watered down enough when it started, and it just keeps getting weaker. I peeled off after the first 2 series, and everytime I try going back to it, it's such a dissapointment. Zoe Wanamaker and Robert Llewelyn can do better.

Dan1089 Wrote:Yeah "My Family" is really funny but I can't stand Two Pints Of Lager!I forgot about Keeping Up Appearances,it's hilarious,that Mrs Bucket joke never gets old!

My grandad calls my mum mrs bucket. He always says "is that the bucket residence?" on the phone - my wireless network connection is also called "The Bucket Residence" Laugh

Why is that Smurls?Please say your aunt is a total Rose!Or is your Mom's number similar to your local Chinese takeaway restuarant?