Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK on fire!!
marshlander Wrote:As an Australian I'd have thought you'd have been more aware than most that we tried that before Wink

Contrary to belief, Australia wasn't founded on convict settlement...infact a mojority of poms are 'Ten Pound Poms' who emigrated willingly in the 1950-60s

The convict settlement as a punishment was largely a failure because Australia was a reward rather than punishment with resources abound and fantastic weather to boot.

IE Australia wasn't a deserted island :-P

dfiant Wrote:Braz, I hope for you sake nothing eventuates and you stay safe ;-)

Thanks dfiant, im sure it wont come to the town im at. Confusedmile:

The police need to do more to protect us, the riots have been spreading, things are really in a sad state in England. I hope justice will prevail.

So you think martial law would stop this from happening? I think this counrty could do with a good shaked up.

Youth and commutiy services across the counrty have been cut big time, these are the services that keep the kids off the streets and protect them from harm. Includding keeping the kids away from bad people.

The kids that are part of the rioting and looting feel they are part of something bigger than them selfs and thats the problem.

Soicality is about to change, the way some of you are talking you are happy to lost your civial leburties so that the govemant can control unrulely kids. Becarefull what you wish for is all I can say.

I repeat my question.

fredv3b Wrote:Is there any evidence that youth clubs prevent riots?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I repeat my question.

Why are you being so pedantic?

Sweetlad, he's not being pedantic. He knows full well the answer to that question, as do we all.

He's just being a bully, demanding that you answer a question who's answer is obvious to us all; hearing you answer it will make him feel superior.

Just in case there's any doubt, NO.

Its called the cut backs, its been happening since 2006 and the crime rates have gone up since then to, but thats not just chippenham but the whole counrty!!!

Paul1 Wrote:Well I have two points of view on this. The government sure is pissing everyone off, so it's no wonder people are finally snapping.

1. I understand the poorer class are getting pissed off. There's a lack of jobs, a lack of entertainment and virtually no way they can influence their situation. The rich stamp all over the poor, the banks take the piss and the big companies continue to hoard all of our nation's wealth. It's time for the poor to get a fair piece of the pie.

2. On the other hand, the rioters are seen to be part of the lower class "chav" sub-culture, often who are seeing as taking advantage of the welfare system out of sheer selfishness and opportunity. The rioting and looting is just taking their scuminess to the next level of opportunistic thieving.

I agree with number 2 more, but also 1. I don't blame the rioters specifically, as the education system fails to teach discipline and it's only human nature to be greedy.

I agree with the above.
Sums up how i feel about the riots more or less, perhaps would phrased it a little less blunt.:redface:

Apparently the man who was shot did not fire his weapon, but he DID have a gun, which in itself is illegal is most circumstances.
I personally feel that his death was permissible if he was shot because the police felt he was going to use the gun.

Not being disrespectful to the family or anything, but i doubt he was carrying the gun for "self defence", i understand the concealment of any weapon is illegal, but there are less dangerous and easier to obtain things that can be carried for self defence than a gun, not to mention the only way he could of gotten a gun is though questionable means.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

* has there ever been in history ( of the world ) such a large scale of organised looting ? pure looting ? ( according to the image portrayed by most media and politicians )

* why does the initial issues ( shooting of Mark Daggan and police response ) seem to have been completely ignored both by rioters and the opposite side ?

* if the shooting accident was just a trigger to an already built up dissatisfaction and anger in some sectors of the society , why this anger is directed against small business the owners of which are probably closer to the side of rioters socio-economically than to the establishment ?

* why does the circumstances of the current event seem very similar to the event in 1981 in Brixton ? Police , conservative government, tough economic policies ....

* if you were a police or government official would you feel relieved that the focus of public attention has moved from phone hacking and economy to the riots ?